100% Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottled mine last Saturday and had a sample last night.

Still needs to carb up a bit but it is coming along very well.

Crisp and refreshing with some slight cloves in the finish. A bit thin on the mouthfeel, but I like that in a brew. I was aming for a 4.2 ABV but finished at 3.7 which makes it go down very easy.

I have run out of wheat yeast and need to get some more. This is one beer I will be making more of.

cheers
johnno

OK Trendsetters, thought I'd have another shot at a wheaty in this realm only a dunkleweizen.
Not a true 100%'er as I used weyerman specialties for the colour(but near enough).

Friday 13th Dunkle

96% JW wheat
3% Wey Caramunich II
1% Wey Carafa II

19 IBU

This was my first attempt at a step mash as well and was quite easy just a little longer.
I pulled 2 litres of first runnings and boiled them down to 500 ml for some caramelisation(and it smelt and tasted sensational) and added it back to the main boil 10 min before flame out to cheat on the 90 min boil .
Ready to be pitched this morning with a 3068 slurry.

Dave

OK Trendsetters,
I recognise that catch-phrase. So, is this really what Rodney Rude is doing in his retirement? :lol:
thought I'd have another shot at a wheaty in this realm only a dunkleweizen.
Not a true 100%'er as I used weyerman specialties for the colour(but near enough).
Dave, is this to minimise smarty comments from self-appointed off-topic "monitors", such as me? :lol:

Friday 13th Dunkle

96% JW wheat
3% Wey Caramunich II
1% Wey Carafa II

19 IBU

This was my first attempt at a step mash as well and was quite easy just a little longer.
I pulled 2 litres of first runnings and boiled them down to 500 ml for some caramelisation(and it smelt and tasted sensational) and added it back to the main boil 10 min before flame out to cheat on the 90 min boil .
Ready to be pitched this morning with a 3068 slurry.

Dave
Did the mash include a protein rest and a 67 or 68 C step. I find that Dunkelweizens benefit from a moderate body.

The recipe certainly looks good, and I can almost smell and taste the concentrated boil portion. Let us know if you retained the desired flavour when combined/diluted with the main wort.

Best of luck, and pls report your results here.

I have not yet done a 100% wheat beer, as I managed to get a stuck sparge with my Gose, after an overnight acid rest/mash. Only 60% wheat and the beer hasn't cleared yet and it's been bottled for weeks. I had read that this style produces a lot of sediment.

Seth :p

Step mashed this on Friday the 13th as well Mr.Bond

HE-111

Selected Style and BJCP Guidelines
15B-German Wheat/Rye Beer-Dunkelweizen

Min OG: 1.044 SG Max OG: 1.056 SG
Min FG: 1.010 SG Max FG: 1.014 SG
Min IBU: 10 IBU Max IBU: 18 IBU
Min Color: 35.9 EBC Max Color: 59.8 EBC

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 33.00 l Wort Volume After Boil: 26.50 l
Volume Transferred: 26.50 l Water Added To Fermenter: 0.00 l
Volume At Pitching: 26.50 l Volume Of Finished Beer: 26.50 l
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.045 SG Expected OG: 1.056 SG
Expected FG: 1.013 SG Apparent Attenuation: 75.0 %
Expected ABV: 5.6 % Expected ABW: 4.4 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 16.3 IBU Expected Color: 33.5 EBC
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 % Approx Color:
Boil Duration: 90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 22 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % When
German Wheat Malt 3.00 kg 44.8 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Dark Munich 1.50 kg 22.4 % In Mash/Steeped
German Dark Wheat Malt 1.00 kg 14.9 % In Mash/Steeped
Australian Barrett Burston Galaxy 1.00 kg 14.9 % In Mash/Steeped
German Caramel Wheat Malt 0.10 kg 1.5 % In Mash/Steeped
German Chocolate Wheat Malt 0.10 kg 1.5 % In Mash/Steeped

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount Form When
German Tettnang 4.5 30 g Loose Whole Hops 60 Min From End
German Tettnang 4.5 14 g Loose Whole Hops 25 Min From End

Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When

Yeast
Wyeast 3056-Bavarian Wheat

It's technically not dark enough but I wanted to play it safe being the first time I've used choc wheat.

Did the mash include a protein rest and a 67 or 68 C step. I find that Dunkelweizens benefit from a moderate body.

Seth :p

No protien rest LTWG.I followed zwickel's regime as posted HERE,same as the Weyerman site regime only with out the P rest.

Will definitely report back.

Latest posts

Back