10 Min Por Apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammo7

Reaction score
Gday all.

From what I have read, PoR gets a fair old bashing as far as a flavor hop goes.
I have just cracked my PoR 10 min APA and **** me if it isn't one of the best beers I brewed.
Great aroma, tastes awesome with a sweet finish, but leaving a nice bitter aftertaste.
I can't say what it smells or tastes like, its not citrusy, piney, floral, earthy, minty or herbal, just a perfect balance.

I was starting to regret putting in a hop plant after reading the bashing that it gets, but as it was doing so well, I had a heap of cones that I didn't know what to do with them.
So I organised a Harvest brew day.

During the boil, we all got out in the pouring rain and Savagely raped the PoR bines. We ended up pretty much stripping it all and got 1.7kg wet.

This was an experimental brew, so didn't care too much if it didn't work - I always had the cascade harvest ale to fall back on (which I had to take it of tap so i could keep it a bit longer).

Cant wait till next year to do it again.
Recipe as follows:

Pleas note, we chucked in 1.7kg wet hops 400g was just to get the ibu's up there..
Cascade Harvest IPA
American IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 46.0
Total Grain (kg): 11.250
Total Hops (g): 400.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.058 (P): 14.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.70 %
Colour (SRM): 8.5 (EBC): 16.7
Bitterness (IBU): 54.6 (Tinseth)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
9.246 kg Pale Ale Malt (82.19%)
1.004 kg Wheat Malt (8.92%)
1.000 kg Crystal 40 (8.89%)

Hop Bill
----------------
400.0 g Pride of Ringwood Leaf (8.3% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (8.7 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
10.0 g Whirlfloc Tablet @ 10 Minutes (Boil)
6.8 g Yeast Nutrient @ 10 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20C with 22g rehydrated Craftbrewer - American Ale

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

I think Fresh hops is the secret, there is now way I'd do this with store hops.
Flame suit is now on...

No need for a flame suit. You made beer that you liked using fresh homegrown hops. Anyone wanting to flame that is an idiot.

Never used PoR late but I reckon its flavours are fine.

I agree, the cones always smelt fantastic when testing them for ripeness, similar to the EKG, but you had to smell them before the cascade, or you wouldn't smell them at all! When I do it again next year, I'll knock back the crystal to 700g.

Also forgot to mention that I no chilled this one, so I hope I end up with double the hops so I can replicate this brew, then another through a chiller with less crystal to see what happens!

Highly recommend to do this if you have a PoR plant!

Glad to hear you like it, I'm planning on doing a pilsner PoR SMaSH this weekend because a) i've got heaps of pilsner grain lying around and b ) i've been hearing great things about PoR and figure its a good way to give it a real go.

I use por late all the time and love it. In the end, who cares what everyone else says, all that matters is what you think of it.

I also believe Boags use por late in both Boags Draught and Boags Preimum, which is what my megaswill mates all drink.

I enjoy all-POR beers (not all beers that use POR! Hope that makes sense). Fresh POR flowers rock.

However, I have recently joined the ranks of them that aint real big on POR pellets after tasting two different beers (that have not improved over time) where I used POR as the bittering hop mixed with some US C hops later on. Bittering hops can and do impart a flavour in many beers...and these shockers are examples of that.

Still, had I used a different yeast and no flavour/aroma hops these beers would probably be perfectly drinkable...it's just that there is a violent disagreement going on between the ingredients and my palate.

Do you think you came anywhere near 54IBU (on your system as compared to 54IBU from a commercial pelleted beer)?

Long live the 10 min IPA! (or derivatives thereof)

I have had several all POR beers and some have been great and some not so great....glad yours flicked your swtich.

Cheers

I made an Aussie bitter based on the recipe that can be downloaded from beersmith using all POR pellets. I was a little worried but curious because there was such polarised views on this forum.
The hop wound up being great!

The beer had a great savory and understated floral aroma and flavor. It also had a very pronounced mintyness when the yeast was stirred up, though it maybe some sort reaction with the Scottish strain I was using.

I would absolutely use POR again, although I think it would do better in a supporting role. Either an ESB if I wanted to focus on the malt, or use EKG with POR supporting in a hop focused English/Australian beer.

Back