0 minute hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you add hops as a boil addition and set 0 minutes it computes 0 IBU. If you set 1 minute it only calcs an ibu contribution for 1 minute of boiling. But if you set a zero minute addition as "whirlpool" for 15 minutes it will do the calcs for the post boil ibu contribution. You should have a setup option in gear setup that asks you how long it takes to chill your wort to 80 degrees and then use this in the ibu calculation. Would be especially handy for no chill brewers.

Coodgee said:
You should have a setup option in gear setup that asks you how long it takes to chill your wort to 80 degrees and then use this in the ibu calculation.
Where in Beersmith2 do you actually find this

Cheers

Wobbly

When you add or alter the hops amount there's a pull-down menu that includes "steep". Choose that and then the amount of time.

The thing I don't understand here is that, if I add hops late in the boil, say 10 minutes to go, then no-chill in the cube, the isomerisation apparently continues. I get the logic, the wort stays hotter for longer, etc. But the hops are left in the kettle with the rest of the trub, aren't they? How can they continue to add bitterness in the cube if they're not in there?

Barge said:
How can they continue to add bitterness in the cube if they're not in there?
It's the oils that are released from the hops that continue to add bitterness, not the green matter that's left behind in the pot.

Not the oils per se, but the isomerisation of them by heat. Pulling the hops out will often reduce bitterness compared to leaving them in as the oils are not released instantaneously, but over time. The only way to stop isomerisation and therefore continued addition of bitterness is to chill the wort (and time as you approach the limit of isomerisation)

Utilisation (percentage of potential bitterness extracted) declines as the temperature declines, and rate of isomerisation declines with time. There are lots of other factors in play as well.

IMO it’s better to brew a beer, taste, tweak and repeat to dial in a recipe rather than get too stuck trying to work out a particular factor precisely. There are a lot of variables that will affect actual and apparent bitterness and they’ll vary from brew to brew, system to system, brewer to brewer and consumer to consumer.

Brewing is a mix of art and science sprinkled with unabashed optimism.

(edit for clarity)

Makes sense. The oils that are extracted continue to be isomerised.

I haven't noticed much difference, personally, between chilling and no-chilling but TBH I haven't brewed a side-by-side for comparison.

I was only wondering because I made an extract with grain batch the other week and planned a 10 minute addition. When transferring to the cube it occured to me that I might not get the bitterness I wanted so I transferred the lot to the cube. Initial tastes suggest that the beer is not overly bitter. Would be interesting to see how different it would be if I left the hops behind.

Coodgee said:
If you add hops as a boil addition and set 0 minutes it computes 0 IBU. If you set 1 minute it only calcs an ibu contribution for 1 minute of boiling. But if you set a zero minute addition as "whirlpool" for 15 minutes it will do the calcs for the post boil ibu contribution. You should have a setup option in gear setup that asks you how long it takes to chill your wort to 80 degrees and then use this in the ibu calculation. Would be especially handy for no chill brewers.
You're spot on. And it shouldn't even be an option; it should be automatic, in-built in the software.

kaiserben said:
You're spot on. And it shouldn't even be an option; it should be automatic, in-built in the software.
Maybe you more knowledgeable guys could post this question/request for software update on the Beersmith forum related to Beersmith 2 software questions.
http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?board=21.0
You never know it might be an easy update for the programmers to plug in.

See Kaiser's comments/post on page 2 of this topic http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57700&sid=61a0fa804c3990a5a3c94b66b12cbdd3&start=15 and if I'm reading it correctly assuming the same whirlpool/steep contact time (which isn't stated) it appears that you get the same BU (Bitterness Units) contribution at 60C, 70C, 80C and 90C.

So (as stated) if I am understanding what he has posted it would appear that for a given g/lt of hop addition post boil will give almost the same bitterness unit for a range of temperatures at or under 90C

Maybe I am reading it wrong, would be interested in what others think

Wobbly

Back in the old days when I never had a PC to work out my recipe.....

You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt.

wobbly said:
See Kaiser's comments/post on page 2 of this topic http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57700&sid=61a0fa804c3990a5a3c94b66b12cbdd3&start=15 and if I'm reading it correctly assuming the same whirlpool/steep contact time (which isn't stated) it appears that you get the same BU (Bitterness Units) contribution at 60C, 70C, 80C and 90C.

So (as stated) if I am understanding what he has posted it would appear that for a given g/lt of hop addition post boil will give almost the same bitterness unit for a range of temperatures at or under 90C

Maybe I am reading it wrong, would be interested in what others think

Wobbly
I use the following figures to work out the IBU's of hop additions at temperatures below 100 degrees. A smart bloke on this forum did all the maths, so credit goes to him. I forget his name or the thread. So I guess I disagree with the statement that anything below 90 degrees gives the same IBU's. The reason I disagree is just because, and that I think that it is more logical for less utilisation the colder the wort gets.

The following percentages are the percentage of IBU's compared to a boil addition. For example, if you did a 15 minute whirlpool with hops at 80 degrees, enter into your brewing software a 15 minute boil addition and multiply it by 18%. That's the IBU's extracted at 80 degrees.

Temp/Isomerisation compared to boiling
100 100%
95 66%
90 43%
85 28%
80 18%
75 11%
70 7%

Latest posts

Back