0 Minute Hops Additions In Extract Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdoch

Reaction score
I posted this in a similar thread in the AG section to avoid starting a new thread but didn't get any replies
So I thought I`d post it again in here:

I have had problems getting my head around 0 minute or flame out hops addition in the extract style
What I generally do is boil the hops in a large hops/grain bag that fits over the pot & at 0 minutes I remove the bag & squeeze out the liquor catching most of the hops material in the bag then discarding.
Sometimes I`ll free boil the hops but then strain through some voil into the fermenter at 0 minutes
To me it seems any 0 minute additions would be completely lost as I`d throw them in & then immediately strain them out ?
Surely it wouldn't do much for that very short exposure ?
I`m obviously missing something ?

Yep. Don't take them out.

I've asked this question before, the answer I got was that the 0 min hops are added as the heat is turned off, then left in the pot for 5 mins before straining the liquid into the fermenter.

I reckon you are better off backing the 0 min addtion off to 5 or 10 mins then dry-hop toward the end of fermentation. From my experience fermentation will drive off much of the aroma added at 0 mins and a waste of good hops. YMMV

Toss the bag and leave the hops in to ferment with beer, no matter what addition times. EXCEPT for flowers, they will if used in enough quantity, block the tap as the beer gets low in the fermenter.

I'm not sure of the technical reasons but....
I usually chuck them in the hop bag and turn the heat off. Prior to that I make sure the hops covered with wort.
I give the bag a shake and submerge the hops...
After that I let the brew sit for 15 to 20 minutes before cooling it...

Im pretty sure u add the hops at 'Flame out' and then people like to 'Whirlpool', i dunno too much on whirlpooling other then quickly scanning this thread. (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45132)
But basically, the 0min additions are added and left in the wort, even while fermenting, so there not dry hopped but not boiled, getting some more flavor but less aroma the straight dry hopping.

So if your doing extract, for your 0min additions, i'd turn off the flame wait a minute then add the 0min, and cover/leave for about 10-20min before transferring to your fermenter and filling with water, which is effectively cooling your wort.

I reckon you are better off backing the 0 min addtion off to 5 or 10 mins then dry-hop toward the end of fermentation. From my experience fermentation will drive off much of the aroma added at 0 mins and a waste of good hops. YMMV

Yep....what he said......works for me

Im pretty sure u add the hops at 'Flame out' and then people like to 'Whirlpool', i dunno too much on whirlpooling other then quickly scanning this thread. (http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45132)

"...but I'm more than happy to try to tell you how to do it and won;t stop to consider if my "information" is even relevant."
But basically, the 0min additions are added and left in the wort, even while fermenting,

Or, if you don't want to do that, you can not include them in primary (if you don't mind breaking all these rules).
for your 0min additions, i'd turn off the flame wait a minute then add the 0min,
-1min additions?

Your pretty a pretty constructive and good community member bum, think i might follow nickJD's lead soon.

I have read somewhere on here that leaving your hops in after flameout for too long before cooling the wort can add unwanted/unaccounted bitterness. I can't speak from experience but it would make sense if bitterness can be added in a near boiling wort.

With your previous post you're already well on your way, mate.

Back