Yeasts From Bottle Conditioned Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick JD

Blah Blah Blah
Reaction score
While searching for some hefe bottle yeast viability and strain I can across this:

http://www.nada.kth.se/~alun/Beer/Bottle-Yeasts/

Many have probably already seen it - and there seems to be a lot of conflicting results with what I've heard on the forum.

Two of the notable exceptions to "common knowledge" here are Paulaner and Schfferhofer, both which in this list are said to contain the primary strain, not a bottling strain.

Any ideas? Will I have to culture them up to know myself? I'd love to get hold of all these strains for $0.00c.

A problem I see with that list is ""
Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers
Last updated May 29 1998

I hear you, but wonder how many 400 year old breweries have changed their conditioning technique in the last 12 years. I've found conflicting advice on Paulaner Hefe's bottle strain and don't know which is right...

I think that conflicting advice is why the only way to find out is to reculture and see what it gives.

I've read that schofferhoffer use a lager strain for bottle conditioning but have no idea if that's myth or not.

Some breweries are quite forthcoming about the bottling yeast being the same strain so you can probably trust that it is but otherwise.............

I've read that schofferhoffer use a lager strain for bottle conditioning but have no idea if that's myth or not.

Same here - but that link says otherwise. I wonder how hardcore they filter before they whack in a lager yeast? Might be that people reculture it and get two yeasts ... that list says they got phenolics and esters, which means either they had a very strange lager bottling strain, or it's the real thing.

Dunno. Looks like I'll just have to culture some up and brew with it. Worst I can get is a wheat lager. EDIT: going to try for Paulaner - two bottles in the fridge settling (motorcycle + beer in Easter traffic = cloudy).

Back