Yeast - Why Is Dry Working Better?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ross,

Nope its the yeast. Tastes just like the raw yeast out of the packet ;) . I suspect it is something that comes in with the drying process. Also the more you add the worse the taste. I am unsure how to describe the flavour, almost muddy/dirty/chemical. Huge hopping rates obviously hide this.

US-56 is not half of Wy 1056, but is easier to use

cheers

Darren

I also agree with Darren and TDA - perhaps it has something to do with the US56 being slightly more attenuative than the 1056 (in my experience).
I find that it's got an obvious yeasty twang early on while the yeast is settling out, though it does seem to mellow out.

The 1056 is also not very flucullant, so perhaps this helps in conditioning the beer?

Having said that - I've always got a spare US56 in the fridge as a backup. SO easy to use!

I also agree with Darren and TDA - perhaps it has something to do with the US56 being slightly more attenuative than the 1056 (in my experience).
I find that it's got an obvious yeasty twang early on while the yeast is settling out, though it does seem to mellow out.

The 1056 is also not very flucullant, so perhaps this helps in conditioning the beer?

Having said that - I've always got a spare US56 in the fridge as a backup. SO easy to use!

Darren stated "Dried US-56 always leaves a "saf" flavour that seems to gain in intensity as beer matures". whereas you find it mellows, so a subtle difference in opinion :)
Maybe it's because I filter, but I've never detected a yeasty taste & the beers certainly don't deteriorate.
I'm pretty sensitive to yeast tastes as well & can identify Nottingham for example in light beers pretty easily (even filtered).
Each to there own I guess :)

cheers Ross

I seem to get better attenuation from the dry US56. No explanation as to why, temperature maintenance is pretty much spot-on 18C for Ales here.

As for a difference in taste between dry and liquid yeasts, I'd have to try them next to each other. My tasting skills are pretty bad at the best of times. I seem to have no trouble tasting wine (picking up grapefruit, raspberry, licorice, asparagus, tannins, alcohol), but when it comes to beer, unless it's a really obvious characteristic I stuggle....I really need some professional help! Anyone? :D

Latest posts

Back