Yeast Starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuesy11

Reaction score
Hi... Was hoping to brew my first lager tomorrow Sunday the 16th ... I have just been called into work tomorrow so cannot brew. I made a starter Wednesday night 12th of June.... Wyeast Bohemian Lager... Will this starter keep till next Sunday 23rd of June when i will be able to brew my Bock or is it advisable to make a new one... I also have noticed a sulphur smell... reading information about lager yeasts this is pretty stock standard characteristic of lager yeast... was wondering if u should notice this in a starter as opposed to smelling it during primary fermentation... thanks

If you are pitching an active starter, you can just add more wort and get it to active. Keep cool and covered in the meantime.

If you are fermenting out and decanting to use the slurry, you can keep it cool and covered and use no problem.

You may smell similar smells in starters as in fermentation.

Thanks manticle... its in the fridge and the slurry will be used next week..i will be turning off all communications next saturday to be safe

zuesy11 said:
Thanks manticle... its in the fridge and the slurry will be used next week..i will be turning off all communications next saturday to be safe
What???

Turn off all communications. Brilliant. Absolute farkin genius. Why haven't i thought of that?

Oh that's right. Because she'd tear my balls off that's why.

(my wife is actually very patient and lovely and not the harpy i make her out to be.)

Ps just had a boilover while posting. She's the devil!

Back