Yeast Starter Oxygenator/mixer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammus

Amateur Brewer
Reaction score
I recently discovered a great use for an obsolete bit of equipment I had lying around. I bought one of these when I first entered my coffee phase.
The other day I had a pyrex jug of rehydrated yeast ready to proof and thought to myself "hmm stirring this vigorously with a spoon just doesnt seem to cut it in the oxygenating department" - then I remembered my old milk frother! This thing stirs and bubbles the mix like crazy - and 20mins later I had the most active starter I've ever made.

Don't know if its the norm or if other people have tried it. Thought I might share it anywho...

Sammus,

Never used one myself but I suspect it will be difficult to sanitise.

A closed bottle like an ex-coke/pepsi/you name it add the yeast and give it a good shake will do the trick.

cheers

Darren

An electric drill (hammer mode off) with a paint stirrer is acceptable. A Milk Frother is not. You risk botulism. No, I mean mocha latte beer taste. </sarcasm>

:blink: :ph34r:

:party:

edited for betta smilies

it has a stainless frothing bit, I dont see any difficulty in sanitising it.. I wash it in detergent water, rinse well, then dunk it in no rinse sanitiser... no botulism here...

An electric drill (hammer mode off) with a paint stirrer is acceptable. A Milk Frother is not. You risk botulism. No, I mean mocha latte beer taste. </sarcasm>

Hey redbeard,

That is almost funny

Electric drill, kitchenwhiz are not the way to airate a starter. You have a motor above the starter that is probably covered in all sorts of organisms over the years. You are also causing an aerosol when you use it that will stick all over the electric appliance. Great place for bugs to grow on the motor windings also :eek:

No risk of botulism there, just wild yeast :(

cheers

Darren

Yep, redbeard, no risk of botulism, as the botulinum bacteria only produces the toxin in an oxygen free environment.

If it were that easy to get botulism from the occasional sub-standard sanitation, most of us would be dead! :p

Yep, redbeard, no risk of botulism, as the botulinum bacteria only produces the toxin in an oxygen free environment.

If it were that easy to get botulism from the occasional sub-standard sanitation, most of us would be dead! :p

I set my standards so low that it is hard to achieve sub-standard... :D

Back