Yeast Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfgill

Reaction score
I need some help from some experienced brewers.

I have been an all grain brewer for a couple of years - having flirted with kit brewing for many years before.

I have hit my first real roadblock. I was making an APA, something I have made before successfully. OG was 1055. I added two packets of Mangrove Jacks West Coast yeast and it sprinted in 24 hours to 1033. It then stopped. I gave it a couple of days, gave it a bit of a shake-up but it still did not move. I added another packet of the same yeast but still no love. I gave it a full week and then made a decent yeast starter with Safale us05 but still no love after a couple of days.

Everything I read says that adding more yeast will work but to date this has just not been the case. In relation to temperature, I pitched a little high 24-27 but other than that it has been in my target temp of 18-22. The only thing I have changed is I have started using a Keg King temp controller. Previously I have just used a heater belt, this has usually been fine (I live in Tasmania) but I wanted more control.

My only possible solution for why this is happening is that the temp controller is not giving me the actual temp in the wort. Currently I have it strapped to the side with half a stubby holder over the top.

Please help me.

Hard to believe that it is finished or that two different yeast pitches have not brought it to life.. I'd first exclude the temp controller question by tossing a thermometer in the fridge for a while - the wort ca t be that much different from the stabilised fridge temp if it is not fermenting at this stage.. And then perhaps try another hydrometer (you are not using a refractometer are u - I understand they are impacted by alcohol so are not useful post pitching). After that I hand on to more experienced advisors!

What was your mash temp? And is this figure reliable? If you mashed too high this might mean that you didn't pull a lot of fermentable sugars out of your grains, so it won't attenuate.

You could have a stalled fermentation. I have to admit that I've never had one, but it is my understanding that when you do, there are certain things you need to do to kick it off again. From memory, pitch a healthy starter that is at high krausen; and I believe certain yeasts are better at re-starting a stalled ferment than others.

I think when these issues occur a lot of the time and you've tried pitching additional healthy yeast it is often a faulty equipment issue, such as using refractometer without converting, broken thermometer, etc.

From 1055 - 1033 with 4 packs of yeast there has to be something along these lines. What was the recipe, mash temp and equipment you've used for measuring out of curiosity?

Quite a few people have un-stalled their fermentations by racking to a new FV too, though I've never had anything a shake and normal d rest didn't fix.

I had one die once with S04.
Warmed it, threw US05 at it.
In the end Belle Saison saved it.

I feel stupid. I was using a refractometer. I bought one last week. I didn't mention it as I had no idea it was not accurate once fermentation has commenced. I used a hydro and was pretty damn close to my FG. Thank you for the advice everyone, much appreciated. I probably would have turfed it - so glad I didn't as it is now gassing and chilling.

Back