Yeast for Stout & Where to get Milk sugar (lactose?)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Double question here.

Doing a double choc stout from the recipe db tomorrow.

I done a bit of research and read that milk sugar, is lactose. Is that correct?
If so, where do people buy it, if not, what is it and where can i find it?

Also I've got US-04 & S-04 on hand, Which would you use on a stout?

Yes, lactose can sweeten as it is sugar from milk and does not ferment. However, it is not very sweet and only adds a slight sweetness. Best to shoot for perception of sweetness by not over bittering and using more crystal malts (caramel, toffee, chocolate, coffee)

As for yeast, anything goes in stouts in my opinion. I'm brewing stouts next weekend and I will be using lager yeast, the weather is perfect now for lager yeast, okay the temps a little high for lagers and you will get some esters showing up but in stouts! it will only add to the flavor profile in a positive way

You have a couple of factories nearby that would make tonnes a day in Allansford and Dennington (I assume they would anyway). Not that you could walk in and buy some though.

Try your local HBS (BBQ's Galore) and hopefully they have it.

I'd be using the S-04 also but either would do the job in the end...

Nibbo said:
You have a couple of factories nearby that would make tonnes a day in Allansford and Dennington (I assume they would anyway). Not that you could walk in and buy some though.
Mate your right. There are some every day things that we have in our foods that get used by the tonne...... in food manufacture. The thing is when you want to buy some unless you know someone that can sell a single bag, then you have to buy a pallet of it. And for brewers that means a hell of a lot of stock. And even a pallet can be a small order to the manufacturer.

Cheers Steve

Back