Yap Micro Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosswill

Reaction score
I just got back from a dive holiday in Yap (Micronesia). Upon walking into the door of the resort, look what I found.
mantagold.JPG
My dive buddies were a little miffed when my first question was not "Where are we diving?" but "When are you brewing next?"

Anyhow, the brewmaster, Freddie, kindly allowed me to be his 'brew bitch' a couple of days later when he made a batch of Manta Gold. Here are some happy snaps.
mantagold__2_.JPG Mash tun and boiler
mantagold__3_.JPG Fermenters. Double skinned with coolant recirculating.
mantagold__7_.JPG Pump and plate chiller. In at 100 degrees and out at 14 degrees
mantagold__11_.JPG High tec mill
mantagold__17_.JPG Grain, from memory 100lbs
mantagold__45_.JPG Only two beers on tap. This beer, the Gold, and another they called Dark, which tasted to me like a Vienna Lager or Octoberfest.

From memory, the recipe was 100lbs of American Two Row, 3kg flaked rice, 170g Hallertau and 160g Saaz for 60 mins, and around 120g Saaz at flame out. The result is a fairly plain beer that would appeal to the mega swill masses.

I managed to put away a few litres during my stay.

Diving, making beer and drinking beer. I was a happy camper. :icon_cheers:

More photos
mantagold__20_.JPG The mash tun. Double skinned insulated. False bottom. HLT was an instaneous water heater.
mantagold__12_.JPG The yeast. Aka CB's Swiss Lager. 250g fermented at 14 degrees. Freddie said it finishes in 6 days and always gets FG of 1010. Mine will never get that low, but then I would not ferment at 14 degrees. He said he re-uses the yeast 8 times.
mantagold__16_.JPG Low tec burner. Similar to mine. It took a while to get to a boil.
mantagold__24_.JPG The pipes were just moved around from vessel to vessel via the pump and chiller.
mantagold__40_.JPG Using Nitrox from a dive cylinder to aerate the wort. No joke. I gotta give this a go.
mantagold__42_.JPG Cleaning the boiler. Note the safety shoes.
mantagold__43_.JPG The finished product into the fermenter. Bubbling away the next morning. Note the blow off tube.

Good find looks like a fun holiday.

For the non divers Nitrox is oxygen enriched air mix to try to avoid some nitrogen getting into the blood stream which can cause the bends if it bubbles.

Diving Nitrox is either 32% or 36% Oxygen green tank with big Nitrox lettering around the cylinder.

That is a very cool Holiday. I am happy if I can find a good beer, yet alone a micro brewery.

Are ther any affiliations of that brewery with any others? Like a chain of micros.

Cheers
Fear_n_loath

No known affiliations. They started off doing K&K then AG. They later purchased the brewery second hand.
Oh, and the diving was OK too.

Back