Yank To Oz Recipe Converter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
With the increasing interest in APAs and all things American, and the fact that many people now read BYO magazine or listen to Beer radio etc: question.. is there a US to Australian recipe converter on the forum anywhere? Or do most people use Beersmith for this? I don't have Beersmith at the moment but I assume there's a toggle button somewhere. If not, and if anyone is interested, in a rare moment of rage trying to nut out a recipe on a US site, I knocked up a really rough and ready prototype in the last hour and a half and just thought I'd post it to see if there's any interest.

View attachment Recipe_converter.xls

As you can see it's just the 'kernel' but what I was thinking of was extending it to convert gallons, quarts and pints and of course those bloody fahrenheit mash temps, but, more useful, to enable the user to enter an Aussie batch size, say 23L or 25 - or 19 for the keggers - and have everything adjust accordingly.

And get a print function going.

Any thoughts and comments? Of course I'd get the thing crash proof etc but as I said I'm only an hour and a half into it so far.

I've entered some sample items as you can see, if anyone wants to play around with it.

Meh!

Kilos ~ Pounds * 2 + a bit
Grams ~ Ounces * 30 - a bit
Litres ~ Gallons * 4 - a bit
Convert mash temperature by feel based on style.

Beersmith does the trick for me. But I can see how this might help

Promash has a units converter and I'm pretty sure Beersmith does as well. BYO provides both imperial and metric measurements for all their recipes.

When entering a recipe in beersmith all you have to do is enter the weight followed by lb if the recipe is in pounds, Beersmith automatically converts to kilos. The same applies for oz, pressures ect. And vice versa.

However yours is a great idea for those unfortunates who don't have BeerSmith or Promash or Beertools Pro.

Cheers
Andrew

beertools.com has a recipe calculator.

You can change units and scale up and down as required. This is also handy when you view other users recipes in the library.

I use beerrecipator which will allow any units to be entered but I still think sterling Job Mr Bribie.

It's always good to be able to cross reference too, to see if there's major differences in calculations.

Already done all that mate in my brewing program I made. All those conversions, even honey ones including gravity contributions, brix to plato to sg and any and in between, abv, abw even honey weights to liquid volumes and all that.

The only problem is its all done and I can use it just fine. But the average joe windows user wont. I programmed mine on Mac OSX which is Unix, so it runs on Linux and any OS, even my iPhone. For windows users I would have to program a full GUI and I'm put off by all that work (will make all my code 10% so far and new 90% of endless and boring ass code just to make a working GUI) and sorry but I dont love windows users that much :p so I potter abou on a GUI that will work on all computers as time permits so its months and still early days.

Can help you with any sticking poknts you encounter, or just teach you how to use mine like I do.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

With the increasing interest in APAs and all things American, and the fact that many people now read BYO magazine or listen to Beer radio etc: question.. is there a US to Australian recipe converter on the forum anywhere? Or do most people use Beersmith for this? I don't have Beersmith at the moment but I assume there's a toggle button somewhere. If not, and if anyone is interested, in a rare moment of rage trying to nut out a recipe on a US site, I knocked up a really rough and ready prototype in the last hour and a half and just thought I'd post it to see if there's any interest.

View attachment 28311

As you can see it's just the 'kernel' but what I was thinking of was extending it to convert gallons, quarts and pints and of course those bloody fahrenheit mash temps, but, more useful, to enable the user to enter an Aussie batch size, say 23L or 25 - or 19 for the keggers - and have everything adjust accordingly.

And get a print function going.

Any thoughts and comments? Of course I'd get the thing crash proof etc but as I said I'm only an hour and a half into it so far.

I've entered some sample items as you can see, if anyone wants to play around with it.

Back