Wyeast 3522 - Belgian Ardennes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duff

Worst Website Ever....
Reaction score
I'm using this yeast for the first time over the weekend. Bought several smack packs through a supply company who use this site. A couple showed up (1388 and the 3522) stamped June 2007. Still full price though <_< The others were fine. Anyway, smacked them Tuesday to see what would happen, by yesterday I thought they were going to burst :blink: Into a starter yesterday and firing well today.

Any tips of the 3522 I need to know about? Ferment at 20C and let rise over the week? I read somewhere being described as a good all round Belgian yeast. Originally I was going to brew an Orval clone as well, but alas, no bottleshop in Cairns sells Orval.....

Here's the basic receipe.

08-18 Belgain Ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.058 Plato: 14.35
Anticipated SRM: 12.5
Anticipated IBU: 37.4
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.7 7.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 2
15.8 1.50 kg. Weyermann Caramunich II Germany 1.035 63
10.5 1.00 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 1.046 0

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
65.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 8.00 31.4 60 min.
25.00 g. Styrian Goldings Pellet 8.00 6.0 15 min.
50.00 g. Styrian Goldings Plug 4.25 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes

Any tips of the 3522 I need to know about? Ferment at 20C and let rise over the week? I read somewhere being described as a good all round Belgian yeast. Originally I was going to brew an Orval clone as well, but alas, no bottleshop in Cairns sells Orval.....

Recipe looks nice Duff... Yep, start the ferment around 20-22c and let the thing finish warm(er). Don't start too warm or the yeast gets a bit too phenolic.

Great spicy yeast. One of my faves. :)

Warren -

second what warren says. i like this stuff. but warm it gets, well , la chouffey, which may or may not be what you want.

get orval any way you can!

It sometimes turns up in the shops down here in the turd that hangs below the arse end of the world (Tassie!:)
I'll keep an eye out! If I see one I'll grab it for you and post it!

MFS.

AusDB cultured up a batch of this for a club brewday and everyone that used it reported the same thing --> Krausen Central

here's a pic of mine :

dubbel.jpg

as you can see it's quite a healthy fermenter and a couple of guys had to change fermenter lids to clean up the mess.
so i'd be reccomending a blow of tube

i used it both in a dubbel and golden strong and quite like the esters it has.

good luck rob.

Im not a real fan of this yeast, to me it always tastes like a hombrewed belgian, and doesnt really tastes like its attenuated very well.
Maybe im just a crappy brewer though. the 1388 though, that is a tasty beast.

The 3522 ARDENNES , Great yeast I have used it to do a De Konick clone , very spicy and makes a great addition to your yeast arsenal.I highly recommed it in the right beer.Wish I had some now.
Recipe:
75% Wey Pils
24% Wey Vienna
1% Pale choc
24 IBU Saaz
Ferment @ 20C
OG 1.048
SRM unrecorded.
GB

Back