Wy3638 And Lallemand Munich

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerben

Reaction score
Hi all,
A month back I brewed a hefeweizen with a 50:50 wheat:pale malt bill and some tettnang hops. I split the batch into 2x 25L ferments and pitched WY3638 in one and Lallemand Dry Munich in the other. For some reason both had a really drawn out ferment (prob better than expected efficiency) and I only managed to bottle it last wednesday night. I've just cracked the first 3638 and it's tasting fantastic (usual clove, banana and tart wheaty flavour)... however there seems to be a little too much carbonation for 7 days in the bottle. Anyone have any experience this yeast and can tell me if this common for such a short time in bottle.
A Lallemand Munich is currently in the fridge awaiting a test.....
Ben

How much is too much? Hefeweizens are a fairly effervescent style?

How much is too much? Hefeweizens are a fairly effervescent style?

True, but normally after 7 days in the bottle i get a slight spritz... not a decent head!! Just me being paranoid most likely.

Well, if the temperature was slightly higher you'd get faster carbonation. Or, the wort wasn't fully fermented when you put it in.

Give it a few days, if they turn into gushers, you have a problem :lol:

If anyone's interested in a bit of a sensory analysis between a dried wheat yeast and a liquid... here are my thoughts on the lallemand munich vs Wyeast 3638...

Wyeast is intense banana and clove with a much fuller body, some residual sweetness but finally finishing quite tart and wheaty (although this flavour is secondary to the banana and clove)

Lallemand Munich has quite muted banana and clove (detectable but not predominant) and some medicinal bandaid type character (potential infection maybe??? but sanitation procedure was identical to Wyeast ferment). Body is quite dry and crisp. Wheat tartness is the main flavour character.

Both brews at this early stage (7 days in bottle after 13 days in ferment) are very good, but my personal preference is definitely the Wyeast. Will do a blind tasting with some beerophiles this weekend and see what they think. I still get a characteristic "dried yeast" character in every brew I've made with dried, be it from a kit or a specialty dried yeast. Never had a problem with liquids.

Hi all,
A month back I brewed a hefeweizen with a 50:50 wheat:pale malt bill and some tettnang hops. I split the batch into 2x 25L ferments and pitched WY3638 in one and Lallemand Dry Munich in the other. For some reason both had a really drawn out ferment (prob better than expected efficiency) and I only managed to bottle it last wednesday night. I've just cracked the first 3638 and it's tasting fantastic (usual clove, banana and tart wheaty flavour)... however there seems to be a little too much carbonation for 7 days in the bottle. Anyone have any experience this yeast and can tell me if this common for such a short time in bottle.
A Lallemand Munich is currently in the fridge awaiting a test.....
Ben

What were your pitching rates and what apparent attenuation % did each strain return?

Screwy

Back