Wort Chiller Soldered Joints

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horner34

Reaction score
I want to make a copper wort chiller, and instead of buying a 18m roll of 15mm soft copper for $120, Ive got quite a few 1-3m lenghts left over in the shed. If I expand and solder about 10m can I use normal silver solder (5%).

Look Forward To Your Replies.

Horner

You'd have to do a butt joint with 100% penetration to make sure there were no seams or inclusions in the weld for bacteria to hide. Don't know about using the silver solder, guess you'd have to research it and see if it's toxic or not.

You cant use normal solder you need to get the lead free solder
once you have that its just a matter of cleaning, fluxing the area blow torck and solder with joiners and angles

i made an imersion chiller last month works great off my tank by pump recirculate the water no waste.

the solder isnt toxic, it is used for potable (drinking water) you wouldnt even have to use 5% silver, you could use the 2% if you want. the silver content just makes it run alot easier. i have been thinking about making one of these (being a plumber) but i lashed out and got a plate chiller.

lobo

Because it's a copper joint I don't need flux, only cleaned with steel wool,

I probarly have to ask tradelink if they have lead free solder,

I was thinking the same thing of hooking up a small pond pump and filling a tub with ice and recirculating that through the chiller. As a green plumber I hate wasting water.

Your right lobo I was thinking the same thing about being potable water, I was just thinking about acidity. But I cant see the harm, I've only got 5% because I dont want to mix up 2% and 5%.

Are you talking about "silver tip" 5% silver phos/copper brazing alloy? If so it is fine as it doesn't contain any lead to start with.
Also are you builing an immersion chiller or counterflow? if immersion chiller it should be fine as the joints will be on the outside of the tube so just make sure they are nicely flowed and no cocky sh!t lumps.

Back