Wort Airation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 'drop' my beers and have had no problems with attenuation so far.

Shawn.

tangent said:
neon, do you have an airstone attached to that pump?
[post="78930"][/post]​

yeah of course i have one of those blue crappy ones from the pet shop. one of these days ill get me a stainless steel one but i'm not really a technical fetishist.

Never used one & only ever had one beer on a stuck ferment & who knows whether that would have made the difference - Beer turned out lovely, so fate on my side :D ...

tangent said:
so do u dip it in ortho 1st?
[post="78963"][/post]​

Rather than just dip, I have tended to put the piece of hose on it and a 50ml syringe on the other, then put the airstone in sanitiser and pump it in and out with the syringe as hard as I could. There's so many small cavities in these things for crap to trap in- give it the best flush possible. Following this I would take it out all still assebled and dangle it in the kettle (kitchen kettle that is) while it is boiling and repeat the pumping. Only then was I half happy it was clean.

Now I have developed my venturi piece I will persuing it further over the SS airstone- purley for sanitisation ease.

Borret

yeah orthophosphiricacid
sanitiser
so that blue stone thing can obviously handle the treatment Borret gives it
and our fish keep dying anyway....
interesting

what's your procedure Ross?
how do you oxygenate?

I'd be interested to hear what Darren does also...

tangent said:
yeah orthophosphiricacid
sanitiser
so that blue stone thing can obviously handle the treatment Borret gives it
and our fish keep dying anyway....
interesting
[post="79075"][/post]​

I don't know about the blue sand ones. Their bonding agent might not cope. I did that to a brass one and a stainless one, both obviously sintered

Borret.

JimD........... i have had the same problems with 1318.

Bloody great yeast but getting better that 69% attenuation takes a bit of work and Re-spalshing if you know what i mean

I use the 2 firmenter tip back and forth method at the moment but it pisses me off.

I have been thinking od setting up an air pump to pump air into the pipe just before the pump when i am pumping fron th cooled kettle to the firmenter.

this way the pump should atomise the air into the chilled wort as it goes through the impella.

only an idea......... any coments?

cheers

tangent said:
what's your procedure Ross?
how do you oxygenate?

I'd be interested to hear what Darren does also...

... interested but not holding my breath...

[post="79076"][/post]​

Tangent,

Wasn't online - watching a movie... :blink:

If you read my earlier post, you'd see I don 't oxygenate - All I do is airate by droppping my beer into the fermenter - Haven't really found a need to complicate proceedures any further - yet ;) ...

JimD said:
I've never aerated, and never had problems. That was when I used Gervin ale yeast. Now I've started on Wyeast 1318 and it's a swine to get going properly.

I've had to rouse it every other day just to keep it going (even at 22C), so I was seriously thinking of investing in some aeration equipment.

Does anyone else think that the need for aeration is mainly down to the yeast strain?
[post="78907"][/post]​

W1318 has given me grief as well. Agree it's a great tasting yeast though.
It's the only one to ever give me a stuck ferment, so I'll never give it any opportunity to stick again. Heavy aeration with this one, and carefully monitoring of the temp to keep it in range, preferably towards its upper end.
I just pour bucket to bucket a couple of times to aerate.

Tony said:
JimD........... i have had the same problems with 1318.

Bloody great yeast but getting better that 69% attenuation takes a bit of work and Re-spalshing if you know what i mean

I use the 2 firmenter tip back and forth method at the moment but it pisses me off.

[post="80002"][/post]​

Bilph said:
.............W1318 has given me grief as well. Agree it's a great tasting yeast though.
It's the only one to ever give me a stuck ferment, so I'll never give it any opportunity to stick again. Heavy aeration with this one, and carefully monitoring of the temp to keep it in range, preferably towards its upper end.
I just pour bucket to bucket a couple of times to aerate.
[post="80044"][/post]​

I've picked up from a few sources now that this yeast is a bit of a bugger. I've got a pale ale on the go now with it, and I'm skimming and rousing avery day (on day 3 at the moment).

I've got the temperature at 22C, and after skimming all the crop and rousing, the head recovers after about 2 hours, so I'm happy it's fermenting well. I'm going to check the gravity tonight when I skim.

Edit: gravity reading is 22 (OG was 45) so it looks fine so far.

Latest posts

Back