Why Would A Phenolic Smell Appear After 1 Week?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxymoo

Reaction score
This is my first experience with 1469. My last two brews have been Landlord clones using the Wyeast Ringwood ale, which I fermented at 18 for the first three days then brought up to 21 for another few days before bottling. They came up absolute rippers.

Well because of the warm weather last week, this brew sat at 22-23 for the first three days, now after a week it's got this festy krausen on top (but is this just what 1469 does?) and it tastes like absolute crap. i'm pretty sure the defect is phenolic, it reminds me of a really bad kit brew i did ages ago that fermented at 30degrees or something.

I didn't taste it earlier on in the fermentation, but the smell through the airlock was delicious up until 6 or 7 days.

one other difference, the first two were all grain, this one was half grain half LDME.

would it be the temperature that ruined it? or an infection? or the LDME? i couldn't even be bothered bottling it, the kit beer it reminds me of is still disgusting after a year.

Describe "phenolic". It's a broad term. Cloves ... or bandaids?

Describe "phenolic". It's a broad term. Cloves ... or bandaids?
hmm, i wouldn't say bandaids, but i've never smelt that in beer, i think it's like cloves, like in a hefeweizen, but disgustingly strong.

Back