Who Uses A Mashmaster Hlt Controller?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
My old HLT thermostat is playing up and thinking of up grading to one of these,any feed back on the units appreciated.

Batz

Got one Batz. Once you put it together it's a dream. Highly recommended. :beerbang:

Who can argue with being able to control their HLT temp by 0.5 of a degree? :)

Warren -

Trust me, Batz, you'll be able to put it together.

We use the latest version one on our 2,250L HLT to control our two elements (3-phase). No probs.

And yes, we also use your bulk buy refractometer too!

Cheers!

My old HLT thermostat is playing up and thinking of up grading to one of these,any feed back on the units appreciated.

Batz

What, yours too. Came home to find my HLT boiling on Sunday when I had set it to 79degC :(
I'm thinking maybe the Mashmaster HLT Controller too. Does it have a timer setting for delayed start ?

Doc

Got one, took me a second or too to figure out how to wire it but after that it's easy as. Can be set with alarm levels as well, though I don't use it.
Only pain for me was the potential damage to the probe cable as it's a bit hard to roll it up and fix it somewhere safe on the side of the HLT.
Sent an e-mail to Brizzybrew mentioning the problem and he's aware of the concerns and last I heard was investigating an alternative. Might be worth asking him about it before you bought, but I wouldn't let it put me off the purchase.

Cheers,
Mika

What, yours too. Came home to find my HLT boiling on Sunday when I had set it to 79degC :(
I'm thinking maybe the Mashmaster HLT Controller too. Does it have a timer setting for delayed start ?

Doc

Yes Doc
Set mine at sparge the other day and worked on other brewy things,looked and found it had gone 20c over <_<
Time to upgrade I think

Batz

Doc

Not a completely elegant solution Doc, but you could place a timer switch on the output to the element. When the controller cycles off the timer would stop but will not effect things over the duration of a brewday. Brissybrew this is something I would be very interested in too.
Cheers
Doug who is looking down the barrel of buying one of these too :)

I've got one... only used it for 2 brews, but was great. Doesn't have a timer, but if you plug it into one of those timer thingies from bunnings (garden variety 240v timer) then it works great.
I personally found it very easy to wore up, but used to aircraft wiring diagrams. Batz, you'd have no problems.

I've got one... only used it for 2 brews, but was great. Doesn't have a timer, but if you plug it into one of those timer thingies from bunnings (garden variety 240v timer) then it works great.
I personally found it very easy to wore up, but used to aircraft wiring diagrams. Batz, you'd have no problems.

Wired up the fridge controller OK
Can't be harder than that hey?

Batz

Nope. pretty much the same except it has a power transormer that drives the display unit. Peice 'o' piss.

I'll add my 2c and say I think for it's price the Mashmate is a great piece of kit. With it's S/S probe it is heaps better value than the comparatively priced Dixcell units that we got in a BB some time back.

cheers

Browndog

Batz,

Do as Screwtop has done and put a switch in, this way you can turn the element off and keep using the probe as a thermometer.......

Thats what i have done...

rook

Batz

Hi Batz,

Bought mine last week and spent an extra $14 on a jiffy box, lead, grommets etc. Easy to put together. I've tested mine by just connecting it to a floodlight. Appears to work well. I'm doing a brew this weekend so I'll let you know if I experience any problems with it.

BTW - anyone know for sure if the connection between the probe and the cable is waterproof? It appears to be, but haven't seen anything for sure - BrissyBrew?

Also, would have been nice to be able to set the minimum controller temp to below 30% - then it could double as a fridge controller too.... <_< .

Cheers,
Michael.

Sounds like I am in the market for one then,Fixa being a fitter I can read and follow diagrams Ok.
It's my colour blindness that makes sparkie stuff interesting :blink:

Batz

I'm looking at getting one in the very near future too.

If Brissybrew is looking for enhancements then I think an inbuilt timer would be great.
That way you could crush your grain and fill up your hlt the night before. Just set the timer and early next morning (or whenever you set the timer for) your ready to dough in.......... Very time efficient.

However connecting it to a standard timer switch would do the trick. Inbuilt would be great though!!

Cheers,
stoutdrinker

I mentioned the inbuilt timer in a previous post because I've had troubles in the past with the mechanical timers you can get from Bunnings. I find they work fine for a few months, but then they stop ticking over, failing to turn on the HLT at the prescribed time. You haul yourself out of bed to mash in, only to find a cold HLT :(

Doc

A few mods improve the unit Batz. Here

Updated diagram including isolation switch

MashMateWiringDiagWS.jpg

Latest posts

Back