When can you ferment at ambient temps at your place?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bribie G said:
:icon_offtopic: Solstice, not Equinox.

That's whether or not the Moon is waxing gibbous.
Equinox : 2 times a year as sun crosses the equator.

In Soviet Orange, winter forks you!

In what was the hottest summer in decades, the temps got up to 35°C with lows of 20°C - unheard of. People around here take off their jumpers when it hits the teens.
Currently temps are perfect for cool ale ferments. 5-17°C over 24h lately has seen my Irish red hover at around 17 for the most part in an disused fridge. Early autumn and early summer are good ambient temps at Orange, if a little cool. In winter, ale fermenting inside is perfect with our heating set to 17°C.

Winters will see me having to strap on a heat belt to bring UP to lagering temps. I just realised that all my bottles in the shed are at risk of freezing overnight... well at least they'll all be lagering.

indica86 said:
Doesn't your summer only last two weeks?
Truth be told, Tassie doesn't get summer. It just gets "not cold". A bit like "winter" in Qld is just the "less hot" season. In all fairness, summer in Tassie is gorgeous and on this half of the island, the water temp at the beach is excellent and we swim often. In the Northwest Coast area, we don't tend to suffer the fluctuations in temps across the seasons that Hobart, Launceston and the Highlands get.

Mainlanders whinge far less about the weather than locals.

Bribie G said:
:icon_offtopic: Solstice, not Equinox.

That's whether or not the Moon is waxing gibbous.
or waxing lyrical :p

Hopefully it all starts waning in the next day or two, lest brew talk be eclipsed by technicalities.

Sorry Bribie, just had to knock out a few dad jokes! Point taken.

Back