Wheat Mash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put down a simple weizen yesterday, 35% JW pale ale malt, 65& JW wheat malt, with single decoction (was going to do a single infusion, but I brain farted and missed strike temp), mash schedule 59C for 30 minutes, 68C for 60 minutes. The run off was slow (first 2/3's with the runoff tube pinched, last 1/3 open all the way), worked well.

The Weizen I did on saturday, 50% wheat 50% barley, with the new SS braid in the mash tun went really well, the new system worked a treat and sparged at a good rate. I did increase sparge temp slightly and tried to keep the barley to the bottom of the tun.
Yesterday I was admiring the nice thick Karausen on top !

Went to see Leon for some advice and he was clearing out the beers he had in his back room , even though I had been out at a party the night before drinking Guinness (there was nothing else worth drinking there) until 3am, it was too good to pass up.
First was a kegged APA which was particularly tasty
2ndly he broke out an award winning barley wine which blew our tastebuds with its malty complexity, the last was a Whitbread Porter made to an 1800's recipe. Amazing flavour from only 2 malts, Ale malt 4.5 ish Kgs and 800gms Chocolate malt and one hopping at 60 mins.
Anyone seen a recipe like this?

Latest posts

Back