What Do People Think Of Steam Exchange Beers?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humulus

Reaction score
Only had one on the weekend my oldies bought back from Goolwa......it was call Truffles.....bloody amazing,notes of vanilla,bourbon and definately oak in there with a finishing warmth of alcohol!
Whats the rest of there range like,love to try brew a batch of the "truffles" any ideas
cheers

Denny Conn's Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. I am not saying they stole his recipe.

I ordered my carton of truffles in easter this year, Collected a week ago...

The missus was good enough to pick me up a 6er of it too a few weeks back. Bloody delicious! I tried it on tap for the first time a year or 2 ago at the Wheaty on tap. It literally walks out the door though as they generally only brew it once a year. The entire batch was almost pre-sold this year!

Im a big fan of their Steam Ale.... mmmmmmm

I ordered my carton of truffles in easter this year, Collected a week ago...

The missus was good enough to pick me up a 6er of it too a few weeks back. Bloody delicious! I tried it on tap for the first time a year or 2 ago at the Wheaty on tap. It literally walks out the door though as they generally only brew it once a year. The entire batch was almost pre-sold this year!

Im a big fan of their Steam Ale.... mmmmmmm
Going to do some homework to see if they sell it in Sydney!!!

I've yet to try them, though, being local, they were on my list. This thread, and your recommendation has moved them up to number one though. =)

If you're after an intense and complex Porter you can't go past Kieran's Robust Rye in the database, though not having tried the Steam I can't do a direct comparison, but the mouthful and body is second to none, so it could be a good base.

PS. Based on the beer advocate reviews I think, even moreso, that it might be close.
http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=SeyITtimL5u...yXTmRSUaxIyagyw

Peppery/spicy and smooth are rye characteristics. I'm thinking they may have used a Belgian yeast to get those flavour ester combinations.

Great guys making fantastic beers..... Do yourself a favour & hunt them out :beer:

Cheers Ross

I personally think you'd be hard pressed to get your hands on the truffles interstate... Though hopefully you can mate!

Pretty sure the bloke I chat to down there is Grant... (IIRC) He's a top bloke and always happy for a chinwag!

I get down to Goolwa a couple of times each month and normally try and pick up a mixed sixpack. I like them all.

The Steam Ale and Southerly Buster are my favourites, the Southerly Buster however always seems to taste better from tap though.

The have a limited release 'Oscar' ale at the moment which is a cracker.

Another big fan of the Goolwa Steam Exchange.

Awesome beers. Haven't tried the truffles thing.

Have had the Steam Ale, the Brown Ale, and an IPA???? i think....It was many years ago.

All three were lovely. If i lived closer i'd drink it way more often.

I know one of the guys that used to work there, top fella too!

They had truffles on tap tonight at the wheaty, didn't have one though, was on a bit of a hop fix.

As a good starting point I would take a nice porter recipe that is more choc focused than roasted. After ferment add your bourbon of choice to give 0.5% additional alc by vol (the minimum allowed before it becomes an alco-pop and attracts a higher tax excise margin for commercial brewers). Not sure if the brewer adds vanilla, might get enough vanilla notes from the bourbon addition.

Maybe next locals night when steam exchange are there you could hit them up for the recipe.

Their beers are very good and for those in Adelaide who cant get down to goolwa i had a few in bottles in the kings head hotel plus they have gulf and lobby breweries beers as well

I've had the oak aged pale ale on tap at the Wheaty, delicious. Made better by the fact that the bartender poured pints by mistake instead of fancies.

Visited the Steam Exchange Brewery at Goolwa last Thursday and they had
their last keg of Truffles on tap - pretty nice for sure but they wouldn't reveal
the recipe (gave it a try but no surprise ;)). The barman said only their master
brewer knew what the complete recipe is though it reminds me very much of
Kieren's Robust Rye Porter from memory so reckon that would be a worthy
substitute.

Also tried their Steam Ale, IPA (liked this a lot though), Southerly Buster
(? - an English Mild) and Stout. Here are some pixes of the brewery.

Steam Exchange Brewery at Goolwa, SA.

Now this is a grain mill!!! :eek:
Guessing milled grain is sucked up to the grist case.

The brewing room.

Plate chiller to freeze hell over. :ph34r:

Conditioning tanks

... and a few more photos.

Bottling line.

NFI what this is but looks impressive.

T.

I thought the truffles just tasted like a basic beer dosed with bourbon and vanilla essence, didnt see the delight in it at all

Latest posts

Back