What Can I Do With These Left Overs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo2234

Reaction score
Hi Brewers

I have a party coming up and need to make some beer for it.

as its going to be drunk like its going out of fashion I want to use as many left overs as I can. at the moment I have:

60gms centennial pellets
80gms fuggles pellets
60gms ek goldings
75gms amber grains
100gms of crystal grains

Big w have a special on coopers tin o goop so I would prefer to use them.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Should mention that there all Carlton draught and pure blonde drinkers........ <_<

Fuggles and Goldings are apparently good in darker beers but how long do you have before the party? Never tried any of these but i just had a geeze in the Recipe DB.

Linky

Clicky

Maybe something along these lines?

APA of sorts
Canadian Blonde
1kg of DME
250g Dextrose (if you want a headache add more)
75gms of Amber
Small amount of Centennial @ 30 Mins to increase IBU (will need to calculate)
1gl of Centennial @ 10-15 Mins
1gl of Centennial @ 0 Mins
US05 or equivalent

UK Golden Ale of sorts
Canadian Blonde Can
1kg DME
50-100gms Crystal
1gl of EKG @ 10 Mins
1gl of EKG @ 0 Mins
S04 or maybe US05

Your ingredients scream uk ale (maybe a newky brown?), but whether that meets with your consumers' preferences, is another matter.

Goomba

Hope it turns out okay.

My leftovers. 1.5kg Blackrock Amber liquid malt extract, 1 kg ldme, 600gm llme, 160gm Coopers No 2 brew enhancer, 50gm Centenial and 20 gm of Amarillo.

I guess a darkish not so pale ale?

APA of sorts
Canadian Blonde
1kg of DME
75gms of Amber
US05 or equivalent

UK Golden Ale of sorts
Canadian Blonde Can
1kg DME
50-100gms Crystal
1gl of EKG @ 10 Mins
1gl of EKG @ 0 Mins
S04 or maybe US05
Sounds pretty good.
And tell them no matter how hard you try, you can't brew anything as bad as Draught.

Hope it turns out okay.

My leftovers. 1.5kg Blackrock Amber liquid malt extract, 1 kg ldme, 600gm llme, 160gm Coopers No 2 brew enhancer, 50gm Centenial and 20 gm of Amarillo.

I guess a darkish not so pale ale?

Maybe hold over the LDME for a proper dark ale or stout. I'm assuming that swill drinkers will see a dark beer and just say "nah, not drinking that", but if it is amber coloured, a different matter.

I'd go with enough Centennial at 30 minutes and Amarillo at 10 minutes to bring IBU up to 30 or so, then dry hop the rest. That should ensure a generally drinkable nice ale. If you have any chance of converting them to decent beer, it'll be on the back of a bit of hop flavour but not OTT in that regard. I came to an epiphany that most people don't become hopheads instantly, it is a very gradual process. A hopped, but not OTT hopped beer should start that conversion.

It'd then be more of an APA. Then I'd look at using the dark malt and crystal malt, in conjunction with the british hops (obviously you'll need a base malt for this) and making a dark ale or stout, depending on your taste. If anyone wants to try it (probably once they are tipsy on the APA), then you've back up.

Goomba

Sounds pretty good.
And tell them no matter how hard you try, you can't brew anything as bad as Draught.

There is always VB!!

By the way that stands for Visitors Beer you keep it in the fridge and only give it to visitors!!

APA of sorts
Canadian Blonde
1kg of DME
75gms of Amber
US05 or equivalent

cant go past a APA!!

instead of 1 kg of DME can I add another tin off goop, I assume that it would have to be a darker one, like a coopers real ale??

1 tin of goo (unhopped preferably) is fine in place of the Dry malt extract. I only ever used dry once, preferring the liquid extract, when I did extract brew.

IMO - I'd go for a light malt extract. A bit of amber grain will bring you a nice orange hue to your beer, you mightn't want to make it darker. Also, if you haven't purchased the canadian blonde, you might wish to consider replacing with unhopped goo (Canadian blonde is pre-hopped) in order to take full control over the hopping of your beer. I used to do a really good goo Pale Ale 50/50 amber liquid and light liquid.

I'd really consider getting the Amarillo in there, as it works fantastically well with centennial (see Neil's Centarillo Ale recipe - extract for proof).

The dextrose would only then be added for thinning the body out (which you may want, given the target audience), otherwise I'd leave it out.

Depending on how attenuative you want it and the temps you are brewing at, maybe Nottingham dry yeast - it likes a lower temp, if you are having issues with that. Otherwise US05 will do fantastically well as well, if 18-20 degrees is more the brew temp you can achieve.

Goomba

Neil's Centarillo is why I have some leftovers!

Might just bite the bullet and make it again and steep in the 100gms of crystal for 30 mins.

If their megaswill they might not like the hoppiness in his ale, could go for your recipe above, looks like a cracker :icon_cheers:

yeah good point TmC

I was thinking more about my taste buds and not there's!!

Back