Was The "dry July" Worth It?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Since my dry July I have gone through 3 and a half kegs. I am brewing like a mad man every weekend. I just did a APA with some of the hard to get Magnum and Cascade. Simple infusion to 67 deg C and pitched US-05. Great brew day, nice and simple and hit all my numbers.
I am certainly enjoying life and my beer after that health scare at the end of July.
So I hink the only good thing to come out of the Dry July was giving the old liver a rest.

Steve

Three and a half kegs in 6 weeks? That's 1.6L, over a six-pack a day. Even more per drinking day if you have AFDs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cut your bloody intake and you won't feel the need for a dry month.

Has your average intake increased since your dry month?

Three and a half kegs in 6 weeks? That's 1.6L, over a six-pack a day. Even more per drinking day if you have AFDs.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, cut your bloody intake and you won't feel the need for a dry month.

Oh for Chrissake let him drink himself to death and die in peace. :(

staggalee.

Well a few pints went to family and friends + 1.5 litres from each keg went into the NSW comp + there was a lot of wastage trying to get the bottles filled from the keg. I guess the point I was making was not so much how much I am drinking, but just how quick these kegs drain themselves.
On the whle though I am drinking a lot less since I broke the drought after July.
Since I started brewing in Jan 2004 I have done 72 AG brews and 2 kits. And dumped 2 of them. So not counting all the give aways and beer friends and family have had that works out around 1440 litres over 1687 days. Thats about 850mls per day less maybe 10% for comps and other drinkers. Not too bad I guess.

I normally go through a 1.25 litre bottle a night, two pints, a perfect amount :beerbang:

I can easily go through 2 tallies in a couple of hours or less, I guess that's 1.5L. Never mind what my wife drinks. No wonder the beers disappear so quickly.

I'm considering bottling in large champagne bottles, or the 2L+ PET bottles, just to save time.

I can easily go through 2 tallies in a couple of hours or less, I guess that's 1.5L. Never mind what my wife drinks. No wonder the beers disappear so quickly.

I'm considering bottling in large champagne bottles, or the 2L+ PET bottles, just to save time.

It does actually save a shit load of time, when I did my first batch in 1.25 over 500/750ml bottles I remember thinking "Shit, that was quick" B)

Close :unsure: More like 4 stubbies per day. But over all the years I have been brewing its works out about 500mls per day after I take out give aways and comps and spillage ect.
And my intake has gone down since the dry month.
And yes it was worth it. And I hope more take the challenge next year.

I wont say what quantity I consume each night on average.
Dr Adamt might spank me :p

Sorry, my AFM is Feb, right after silly season.

+1 AND its only 28 days! Youre pretty much pickled from Xmas NYE Oz day etc. Feb is easy. If you blokes really want a tough one - Do December Alcohol free :huh:

Just a beer and beaver loving Canadian myself here.

Dry July? no thanks. :)

I'm ~1/2way thru my second keg after the Dry July episode and I'm only down to that half after a heavy drinking session with my Bro on Saturday arvo/night. Though I think there might have been a case of commercial while waiting for stocks to become available. And I still think I drink excessively :huh:

hey bro's.. Im pretty chuffed with myself if Im beer free for three days...

Back