• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Wanted To Buy: Motherboard Gak8ns Or Similar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cube

SAY MY NAME, BITCH
Reaction score
I'm hoping that some of the computer geeks here may have one of these in an old box. I need to get going a AMD 3200+ system. I have one obviously but with a dodgy Motherbard and or power supply as well. All sorts of crazy stuff happening from not booting to crashing.

Re installed everything two times from scratch and got new ram and tried onboard cards etc.

I prefer 3 ram slots but two will do if nothing else is around. I tried web, ebay and oztion thus far. :unsure:

Here are the specs of what I need to replace and needs AGP 8X ( but most of these have that )

Gigabyte GA-K8ns
  1. Supports new generation AMD AthlonTM64 processor
  2. Enhance system performance with DDR400 memory
  3. Integrated Serial-ATA interface with RAID 0.1 function
  4. Integrated high quality 8 channel Audio Codec
  5. Integrated 10/100Mb Ethernet controller
  6. Provides 6 USB 2.0 ports for high-speed connectivity
Cheers and a few beers to whom can help :)

I've got one kicking around,

I replaced a Gigabyte mobo with an ASUS board with NVIDIA chipset because the Gigabyte board kept giving me blue screens.
Reinstalled half a dozen times, and then someone told me it may be a faulty memory controller. Sound familiar?

You're welcome to the Gigabyte board, suggest you look at another brand ;-)

I have had nothing but bad experiences with NVidia (Nforce 3 & 4, 570 and 590) chipsets and AMD64 processors. They are very very finnicky with what brand ram stick used which causes instablity. I ditched 2 of them (both premium $300+ mobos - Asus and MSI) and ended up with a Gigabyte AMD chipset board. Absolutely rock solid performance.

I know this doesn't help much, but its not just Gigabyte board that suffer it.

:icon_cheers:

Time to start again mate. Anything still using AGP is obsolete, and you'll either spend more money trying to source a replacement, or have the same thing happen again shortly. If you don't need much in the way of graphics performance, you can build a core2 duo system with integrated video for under $200 which will be infinitely better than the amd64 system.

Time to start again mate. Anything still using AGP is obsolete, and you'll either spend more money trying to source a replacement, or have the same thing happen again shortly. If you don't need much in the way of graphics performance, you can build a core2 duo system with integrated video for under $200 which will be infinitely better than the amd64 system.

I think I have a suitable board at home, will look when I knock off.

Cheers guys. I'd prefer non gigabyte but will try what ever is out there that will fit my CPU at this stage before I build another box. It's for the odd game and will be used to send my wireless interweb to my lappy downstairs. I have little to no signal with 3 internet downstars ( 1 bar signal non HSDPA ) but upstairs with a homemade sat dish I get 4 bars HSDPA signal. That 1 bar is worse than my 9600kbs modem days way way back. :icon_vomit:

Have you tried updating the Bios to the latest version? sometimes this can help fix some issues.

Also if you have a "crappy" power supply this can also make your computer restart without notice..

what I do to troubleshoot is..

Take the board down to the min required.. i.e. 1 stick of ram, video card, power supply, Hard disk.. (and if you have any working spares around switch theses in and out to test configurations sometimes HW just doens't work together well)

install a burn-in program like Sandra Sisoft and do some burnin runs.. if you've got a faulty HW it'll most likely reboot/stall on that test.

As LethalCropse says.. It sounds like its time to start again... If you just want a computer which works I'd suggest paying a little bit more because just like anything else you get what you pay for...
It might be great that you got this motherboard with a bazillion functions for half the price, most of theses will come with min support and min drivers.. I've been through that and now I pay top dollar for my parts which = less headaches down the track.. even better still if your not computer savy go to a pc shop and get a deal (ofcourse you wont get top of the line HW but you'll get support and can take it back if(when) it stuffs up)

Hey Mate,

I remember building my first system with an Athlon 64 3200+ and I've still got it kicking around at home somewhere, I'm pretty sure it's on a Gigabyte K8V Deluxe SE. Since then I have built a Sempron 2800+ based system, an Intel D830, an Intel E6850 and now a Core i7.

I would strongly suggest upgrading.

However if you are still looking for a motherboard similair to what you have listed above PM me and I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I just checked out how much I could build the cheapest fully functioning system for, works out to be $380 Intel Celeron D430 1.8GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 512MB Graphics Card, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW and a decent case and power supply. I could do it cheaper but this is the minimum I would kit it out with.

Hey Cube i have an old box i use ehre for testing a K8NSPRO. Turns out i had it crasing constantly back to the Bios POST boot screen. no warning. not overheating. i ran memory (ram) health checks, defrag, reinstall OS on a different drive all with the same issues.

Turns out it was an issue with memory allocation. when i 1st built the box i put the ram in SLOT 1 not SLOT 0. fixed all of my problems. Look into it if you have having similiar issues. Its a know issue with all K8NS apparantly

Cheers!

Cheers Fourstar

I have been through it all. I purchased new ram awhile ago just to make sure this was not the problem. People mixing and matching ram and slots has indeed been a pain in my ass for many years.

It seems that some of these boards just don't work well or fall over for no reason.

I think I will take 'cash splash rudd' up on his offer on 50% off my new computer.

:icon_chickcheers:

Latest posts

Back