Wanted: Quick Conditioning Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was in a hurry to get a couple of brews down before my holidays in early February. No time to make a starter, so I pitched a couple of cubes directly into the fermenters after bottling. Straight onto the yeast cakes of wyeast 1098 british ale. They both went off like a rocket and were fully fermented in about four days. I crash chilled for 48 hours then bottled. It was the first time I'd pitched this way. Gotta make sure your working areas are pretty well sanitised of course.

Just cracked a couple, and well...superb! Conditioned beautifully.

So, if you've got something fermenting now, that might be an option, or at least something you can try another time when in a hurry. ;)

If I liked wheat beer I'd recommend like others have, but I don't!

Bowie

Not having a yeast cake to pitch on to (never been convinced of this practice anyway) I think I'll make an old fashioned starter.

Smack the yeast friday morning, make starter wort friday arvo, brew saturday pitch sunday/monday depending on how quickly the starter ferments out.

I happen to quite enjoy wheat so its onwards and upwards.

JD

Yeah, my beer was a strong ale, so it was quite big. Not normally something I would recommend, but it did work for me and it tastes great. One of the best I've made.

Best of luck with the wheat.

Bowie

Latest posts

Back