Ventmatic - Where To Get A Good Deal

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
outa curiosity and in defence of the flow restrictors of which i bought some did you swap beer lines ross to one without f/restrictor to see if this stopped the foaming.the only time ive ever had trouble with too much foam is from over carbing a keg.

cheers
big d

No magic really I have about 1m of beer line going into the restrictor and onto the tap. Basically I adjust the restrictor to reduce the flow through the tap to a slow pour depending on the pressure. So a 120kpa beer just has it wound in a bit more. When I first installed them there was a bit of bubbling in the lines but this seems to go away with some use?

I use a balanced system and have a common gas supply so all beers are at the same pressure. I have carbed some higher from time to time but most of the time the system sits at 100kpa.

If you overcarb the beer you are stuffed, the restrictors dont help. I have done this before with no luck no matter what I do with the restrictors.

As JasonY said, the Roach Flow Restrictors are for ensuring the same speed of flow from different levels of pressure, or regulating the speed of flow to suit a shorter length of line.

From experience, with an overcarbed keg, the restrictors make no difference.

Essentially, I'd say it goes like this (only read a bit about the flowgate so I'm no expert):

You want short beer lines in your fridge - buy restrictors

You want to server high carb beers (without the foaming) - buy flowgates

You want to be a geek - serve high carb beers with short beer lines using a restrictor and a flowgate

JasonY said:
No magic really I have about 1m of beer line going into the restrictor and onto the tap. Basically I adjust the restrictor to reduce the flow through the tap to a slow pour depending on the pressure. So a 120kpa beer just has it wound in a bit more. When I first installed them there was a bit of bubbling in the lines but this seems to go away with some use?

I use a balanced system and have a common gas supply so all beers are at the same pressure. I have carbed some higher from time to time but most of the time the system sits at 100kpa.

If you overcarb the beer you are stuffed, the restrictors dont help. I have done this before with no luck no matter what I do with the restrictors.
[post="87809"][/post]​

Jason, BigD,

It appears from what you say that the restrictors don't help pour a highly carbonated keg. My system is perfectly balanced to 90 kpa pouring pressure - but what I wanted was to be able to pour a highly carbonated Wiezen for instance. So I guess I was wrong in thinking the restrictors would help. But I'm assured the flow gate will - So keeping my fingers crossed :)

Edit: Boots, I'm told the flowgate works with a short line, but we'll wait & see...

fingers crossed for you ross.hope the flowgates do work.(another bulky ;) )
also fingers crossed for a pic of one else wise i will have to do a search on google.

cheers
big d

big d said:
fingers crossed for you ross.hope the flowgates do work.(another bulky ;) )
also fingers crossed for a pic of one else wise i will have to do a search on google.

cheers
big d
[post="87823"][/post]​

Should be here any day - I'll post pics, but new bar probably being plumbed in Saturday week - So results will have to wait...

Cheers Ross

Ross, I'm keen to see how they go then, as I'll be placing an order for a couple of ventmatics before christmas - if they're as good as they're sounding I'll probably add a few on.

With ten of them on the way, I'm sure you'll be able to do some indepth testing :beerbang:

cheers

Ross said:
It appears from what you say that the restrictors don't help pour a highly carbonated keg. My system is perfectly balanced to 90 kpa pouring pressure - but what I wanted was to be able to pour a highly carbonated Wiezen for instance. So I guess I was wrong in thinking the restrictors would help. But I'm assured the flow gate will - So keeping my fingers crossed :)

Ross what do you call a highly carbonated beer, a wiezen should not be a problem and in fact that is the beer I was playing about with higher pressures on (130kpa from memory). Restrictors should be fine for this.

A beer that is overcarbonated is different to a highly carbonated beer. There is just that much CO2 in the beer that it just flashes off as it comes out the tap and you get nothing but foam. I am sure there is a more techy explanantion. A sensibly highly carbonated beer should be a different beast.

As I use a balanced system my pouring pressure is the same as the carbonation pressure so it is all pretty easy. If you connect a 130kpa carbonated keg to your system you could have problems from the CO2 coming out of solution in the beer lines due to the lower pressure (90 as opposed to 130) and the pouring pressure will be lifted slightly by the CO2 coming out of solution in the higher carbed keg. I don't do this so can't prefess to be an expert at its behaviour, but have seen a similar problem when I used to stuff about without carbonating and pouring at the same pressure.

I suspect the same rules will apply to any device as the thing we are tying to do is adjust the pressure drop over the beer line to give a good pour. It could be that the flow gate is capable of doing this in a less turbulent or smoother way and gain some performace from that.

Regardless it will be intersting to see what they are and what they are capable of.

USPS website, says my taps ceared customs at 3.34 pm yesterday, with guarenteed delivery today - YIPEEEEE :)

I connected my taps today, have the font out the top of a chest freezer - just need to play around with what settings work best. I had it all working perfect through the pluto gun but now I seem to get lot's of foam.

I'll take some photos of the setup tonigh or tomorrow, very happy with how it came up overall, just need to get a slab of wood on the top.

OK I've got my Ventmatics all installed and have one Flowgate installed. My keg fridge is a balanced system set up with the main regulator on the gas bottle going to 2 inline regulators. One is set to 12psi for ales and goes to a 4 way manifold, the other is set to 18psi and goes to a 2 way manifold for high carbonated beers like lagers. the fridge is set to 10c. I use 3/16" lab grade silicon tubing (doesn't go rigid at cold temps). The Flowgate is set up with 1.83mtrs of Micromatic 3/16" tubing and I'm trialling this on a pilsner set at 18psi. This is being trialled side by side against another pilsner set at 18psi but using 3.3mtrs of my normal tubing.

My limited observations sos far, is that the Flowgate works just as well as the balanced line.

Not sure why you would'nt just use a balanced system in the first place, but this is just my preference. I've also got a couple of the flow restrictors but don't use them anymore as I found them too hit and miss.

The simplest and probably just as cost effectice approach would be to have a couple spare lines of different length with a tailpiece, beer nut and QD. If you're going to put a lager on, turn up the reg, and swap over to the correct length of line.

It's very hard to build a system that can cater to every type of beer, but I would suggest using a minimum of 2 inline regulators, to 2 gas manifolds, with an assortment of beer line lengths. You can then keep it balanced for whatever beer you're serving.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
OK I've got my Ventmatics all installed and have one Flowgate installed. My keg fridge is a balanced system set up with the main regulator on the gas bottle going to 2 inline regulators. One is set to 12psi for ales and goes to a 4 way manifold, the other is set to 18psi and goes to a 2 way manifold for high carbonated beers like lagers. the fridge is set to 10c. I use 3/16" lab grade silicon tubing (doesn't go rigid at cold temps). The Flowgate is set up with 1.83mtrs of Micromatic 3/16" tubing and I'm trialling this on a pilsner set at 18psi. This is being trialled side by side against another pilsner set at 18psi but using 3.3mtrs of my normal tubing.

My limited observations sos far, is that the Flowgate works just as well as the balanced line.

Not sure why you would'nt just use a balanced system in the first place, but this is just my preference. I've also got a couple of the flow restrictors but don't use them anymore as I found them too hit and miss.

The simplest and probably just as cost effectice approach would be to have a couple spare lines of different length with a tailpiece, beer nut and QD. If you're going to put a lager on, turn up the reg, and swap over to the correct length of line.

It's very hard to build a system that can cater to every type of beer, but I would suggest using a minimum of 2 inline regulators, to 2 gas manifolds, with an assortment of beer line lengths. You can then keep it balanced for whatever beer you're serving.

Cheers
MAH
[post="90290"][/post]​

Thanks for that MAH - My stems being installed this w/e - going very similar to you, ie 2 x 6 way gas manifolds on dual reg - one at 8 to 10psi for ales & one at 18 psi for lagers.
What diameter line are you using for 3.3m lengths? I'll take your advice here & save myself some stuffing araound.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross

I use 3/16" tubing for all my beer lines. I bought lab grade silicone tubing because it will not impart flavour to the beer, doesn't go rigid when cold, and is easily cleaned with the same cleaners I currently use in my home brewery.

I've settled on 10c as the serving temp for my fridge as it's at the top of the lager/wheat range and the bottom of the ale range. So assuming 10c and 3/16" tubing the following should work (figures rounded off).

Ales 2.0 volumes @ 10c = 12psi or 85 kpa with 7ft or 2.2mtrs of line
Lager 2.5 volumes @ 10c = 18psi or 125 kpa with 10'8" or 3.3mtrs of line
Wheat 3.0 volumes @10c = 24psi or 165kpa with 14'4" or 4.35mtrs of line

I've attached a little spreadsheet that might help others. Simply fill in the blue boxes with your desired volume of carbonation and temp. It will then tell you the psi or kpa you need. Then for each style enter the psi it generated and it will calculate the beer line length in feet and meters. Sorry but it only does this for 3/16" tubing. I'll try and modify it over the next couple of days so you can add the diameter of your tubing.

Cheers
MAH

View attachment Beer_Line_Length_Calculator.xls

How do you attatch the flowgate when using a flooded font?

Can you buy an adaptor to connect the flowgate to 6mm beer line that feeds up to the font?

Just Spoke to Brad at Ventmatic at 5.30am this morning.

Bad news on the Ventmatic Tap front.

Basically, nil supply from Taiwan and lots of problems.
Result is there are no Ventmatic Taps available until mid Feb 2006.
Also, Price will rise from 29.95 USD for just the tap - upto 38.95 USD come Feb...the collars and male snaplock shanks should not go up too much

The Aussie distributor only has only 100 units left - he is reluctant to get rid of his stock too quickly. He needs to keep some on hand for Bar Installation work.

I have ordered 6 - 3 for me and 3 are spare/for sale.
Cost will be 95.00 ea (Tap + Collar + Snpalock Male Shank) or
150.00 for (Tap + Collar + Snpalock Male Shank + SS Nipple + SS 1/2inch BSPx 3 inch long Fridge Shank + SS Snaplock Adaptor )

First in First buy ....

I might be able to up the order to 10 units if there is sufficient interest.

Ok just secured some more Ventmatic Taps...

Will have 4 for sale - PM Me before i start listing them on E-Bay.

hi Ken,

as per PM today I have attached photo of font and tap setup as currently is.
Can you please let me know what I need in to attach Ventmatics to font.

many thanks OD

You will need Snaplocks as well as Ventmatic Taps - but you can then sell them on Ebay...

OK - The Ventmatic Taps all seven will be despatched today...

Should have them by Monday...

Old Dog - received your money and will despatch your 3 taps and snaplocks Tuesday - express Post Ok - or do u want registered and insured (will Cost More) Let me Know.

Dougy

Managed to get your 2 taps - pm or e-mail me with the other stuff u need - eg Reg, Fridge Shank, etc.

Cant wait for you guys to post the pics in the Ventmatic Tap thread.

Latest posts

Back