Using Old Milk And Coke Bottles For Cider And Mead?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
So I finally decided to clean out these crates of old bottles in my shed; coke bottles, tarax soda, and a few of what I believe to be milk bottles (see attached).

They're all from the 60s - super old school - super thick. I am looking to use them for ciders and meads. Ok the thought of filling 237ml coke bottles is kind of annoying, but it might make for more sensible mead sessions. Plus the milk bottles hold more than a longneck so that's good for ciders.

I wanted to make this post to see if anyone felt like saying don't be an idiot, those milk bottles will explode. Bear in mind, these are old school milk bottles. If you've held a glass coke bottle in your hand, you know how thick they are - these don't seem much thinner, and they certainly seem thicker than any beer bottle these days.

Has anyone done this before? Is there more to consider than the thickness of the glass? Eg, age/era?

Thoughts appreciated...

photo.JPG

Bottles like that i would send right to ebay. Lots of people like them, lots of film companies like them for circa props. I'd buy new ones with the coin.

Fair call guys. I've got original crates so they'd certainly fetch a pretty penny (the crate of coke bottles for $200 is just crazy - we'll see if anyone bids).

I don't know though - using them for HB doesn't effect their resale down the track, near as I can tell. I think some nice clear cider would look great in those bottles...

age will play a big part they will get brittle over time, more so if they exposed to heat and uv rays. I would do as said and sell them buy a few boxes of coopers and use them. You get the beer and free bottles :p buy a box of longnecks and few boxes of stubbies and you will be set.

Back