Uni Student Brewers In Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

st.sloth

Reaction score
Howdy all,

I'm studying journalism at Monash University, and write for my campus student publication. Have been meaning to write an article on home brewing and it's particular benefits for uni students for a while now. (I myself started it originally for financial reasons back in 2003 when I was first at university - I haven't stopped since)

I'm out in the sticks these days, but when I was living in Melbourne there were some groups of uni students keeping their own brewing clubs, I vividly remember my first exposure to such a club - a particular group of 8-10 in Collingwood/Abbotsford would get together once a week to drink and brew, with three four fermentors between them, bar setup & the works. And was a heck load of fun. Inspiration and motivation to get into it myself quickly followed.

I'd love to track down one such group who've really got things organised to feature in an article, with the intention of seeding in readers that same inspiration and motivation that got me hooked in the first place.

I could easily write an article on the setup that me and my housemates subsequently set up, but that would just be jerking off.

Any one able to point me in the right direction? (will also include a link to AHB in the article)

Cheers, Louie

I fit the category, but don't really know of any student brewing clubs.

Beat you to it mate! i wrote a 3 part series for RMIT student magazine 2 years ago. If you have access to the State library catalogue, there should be editions available for you to view for interest/ideas of how i laid it out. :icon_cheers:

From memory it was: edition one into to homebrewing and kits/recipe, next edition was extract brewing and a recipe, final was all-grain brewing process and general brewing tidbits for 'better' beer. There was a few 'editorial' errors with it. e.g. trub instead of break material etc. but was well recieved and the editors had a few good responses about the articles. With a HD crash i lost all of my original soft copies but i do have hard copies at home.

Nice one there Fourstar. Writer yourself? Or just wanting to spread the love? I'll try and track it down for a read.

I've got a different angle in mind - focusing less on the nitty gritty details of the process, and more on the possibilities, hence the focus on an established group of brewers who've got a good thing going. Hope to instill that same sense of motivation and inspiration in readers that I first felt way back at my first brew club exposure.

The group wouldn't have to be Uni students per se, just a younger mob, that undergrads (the target audience of the publication) can relate to.

jbowers: do you brew solo? or en masse?

Nice one there Fourstar. Writer yourself? Or just wanting to spread the love? I'll try and track it down for a read.

Spreading the love and SWMBO was the editor, they where strapped for content! :lol:

I'm a postgrad student. My brewing is done solo but I've occasionally shown people interested in AG what I do.

Just tacking this onto an already existing and appropriately named thread...

I was curious to see how many uni student brewers there are out there? Where/What are you studying? Are you involved in any clubs?

I'm a mature age (26) student returning to study. In my first year of a Phys Ed degree at Vic Uni. Was thinking of trying to organise a brewing club at the uni...

who else is out there?

I'm at RMIT.
A few years ago there was a club starting up but I'm not sure happened to it. Would be great to meet some brewers there.

You might have to have a look into that Acasta and let us know! If there were different uni associated brewing groups then I'm sure eventually there could be some inter - uni comps/nights. I'm interested to see how other student brewers get by on a student budget!

Post grad student, but unfortunately only have the time to knock out a brew every couple of months. Just enough to keep supply above demand.

Latest posts

Back