Two-can Coopers Mexican

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gronko

Reaction score
I've just sampled my coopers mexican brew. It was made using the standard recipe + 500 g of LDM

Its been maturing for 5 weeks and is not too bad.

But it reminds me of a glass of cordial that has been mixed at 5 to 1 ratio instead of 4 to 1 ratio. Nice flavour, but a bit shallow.

I like all beer, just some more than others and I mostly brew and drink high (ish) gravity beers (around 6.5% ABV)

Now because I like the underlying flavour of the mexican kit I'm wondering what it would be like if I used two cans of goo instead of one.

Anybody try this, and is it a good drop? :)

An interesting question. I've never done a toucan with this, but I agree that made as per Cooper's instructions it does lack something. I guess a toucan would be hoppier for sure.

Cerveza by nature has not a lot too it at all in the way of body or bitterness.

Perhaps something like a Canadian Blonde would be better if you want a little more of either.

My Cerveza style brew is Coopers Tin + BE2 + Saaz finishing Hop Tea Bag (or other citrusy hop Cascade, Amarillo, Glacier) it gets much better after a few months, superb 6-12 mths if you can leave some that long.

If you can brew at a lower temp use a good lager yeast rather than the kit yeast.

Mick.

Cerveza by nature has not a lot too it at all in the way of body or bitterness.

Perhaps something like a Canadian Blonde would be better if you want a little more of either.

My Cerveza style brew is Coopers Tin + BE2 + Saaz finishing Hop Tea Bag (or other citrusy hop Cascade, Amarillo, Glacier) it gets much better after a few months, superb 6-12 mths if you can leave some that long.

If you can brew at a lower temp use a good lager yeast rather than the kit yeast.

Mick.

Thanks Mick

I do have a more recent brew that is the Canadian blonde, but its too green to drink yet. Needs a few more weeks.

I haven't been brewing long enough to be bothered trying "extras" in the process yet. I just use the standard yeasts supplied with the kits, and usually only add stuff like a bit more LDM.

I reckon I'll just stick to the tried and proven Coopers sparkling ale, or Heritage lager that are my favourites. Plenty of body and flavour in those :)

Hello Gronkster!! Good to see ya having a crack at everything amber!!

Didn't think the Mexican was for you!! Your favourite style of beer is chewed rather than swilled, with more organic matter than a hay bale!! See you at the Jam!! I'll bring a spoon!!
wink.gif

Back