Tooheys Old Black Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have a AG recipe that is close to Old? I made a nice tasting robust porter two brews ago but I think it won't be to my mates liking. I want to give him a case of longnecks as a gift.

here is what i would do.

cheers.

old

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 4.70
Anticipated OG: 1.047 Plato: 11.78
Anticipated EBC: 40.8
Anticipated IBU: 20.1
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
42.6 2.00 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 7
42.6 2.00 kg. JWM Export Pilsner Australia 1.037 3
6.4 0.30 kg. JWM Caramalt Australia 1.036 50
4.3 0.20 kg. JWM Crystal 140 Australia 1.035 145
4.3 0.20 kg. TF Chocolate Malt UK 1.033 940

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
16.00 g. Pride of Ringwood Pellet 10.10 20.1 60 min.

Yeast
-----

WLP 001

My last dark ale was a bloody ripper!, and was in the style of old, in fact i now call it south coast old. Here it is:

3.4 kg maris otter
200g dark crystal
120g carafa 1
100g home toasted pale ( 180c for 15 mins )
150g malanoiden
250g flaked maize/corn.

7g pacific gem 14.7% 60 min
35g willamette 4.9 ( FWH )

Essex ale yeast wlp

EDIT: was in a hurry before so didn't mention. The colour of this beer was almost exactly the same as tooheys old. It was that really nice garnet colour, totally clear as well. And taste?, well, it has to be one of the top 3 beers i have made all time hands down!!, and i dont drink that much dark beer, mainly bitters!.

hmm interesting .. how do you think this recipe would go? based on tony's recipe but using what ingredients I have on hand:

2kg B&B Pale malt
2kg Weyermann Pilsner malt
0.5kg Caramunich I
0.25kg Chocolate

20g POR @ 60mins

Would Wyeast 1098 or US-56 yeast be any good?

Just putting Tony's recipe into Beersmith now :) I will have a go at that next week seeing I picked up some POR today for the first time, $20. for 1kg..After reading the posts last week about POR I will give it a run with Tonys receipe.

manaen said:
1kg of POR for $20 ??? any more to be had??
[post="113578"][/post]​
Yep, he had 1kg left...Untill Tidalpete reads this <_<

manaen............. sounds great, go for it.

Tooheys use a base grain and just 1 special roast grain from JW that adds the flavor and colour aparently but we cant buy it :angry:

If you taste it it is light to medium body with some swwetness and a definite chocolate character.

hense the Pale/Pils mix and the caramalt, crystal, choc mix.

caraminich 1 is only 100 ebc i think so should be great, you want sweet to ballance the bitter chocolate malt that is used for colour, thats the secret.

BALANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

balance sweet with roast, malt with hops and you have the perfect beer.

the recipe i came up with should do this, or come bloody close.

up to u now, thats the great part :)

cheers and have fun.

Well I ended up putting down my first attempt at a Tooheys Old clone, I used the following recipe:

AG Tooheys Old Clone
AG Mash, full boil, 2kg B&B Pale, 2kg Weyermann Pilsner, 500g Caramunich, 500g pale wheat, 200g Pale chocolate.
Pride of Ringwood 9% 20g @ 60 mins (20IBU), 90 min boil. 20L collected from kettle. S-23 dried yeast.
SG 1.052

After 48 hours it has dropped from 1.052 to 1.034 @ 12 deg C so seems to be going well. I have not had any success using larger yeasts before.

Now for the questions:

Going off my ingredients how do I work out what efficiency I ended up with?

People in the past have told me that when your brew gets down to 1.020 you should increase the temperature to room temp to allow for a diactyl rest? is this what I should do .. I do I just let it ferment out as normal.

Do you have to CC brews done with a larger yeast? How does this affect the taste?

For the efficiency, just get the demo version of promash here, plug in the weights and measures, and change the efficiency button until you get the right OG. :D

Jye I like the look of beersmith, can you download australian grain profiles?

Sorry. Didn't wish to offend the beersmith groupies. :D

Both are great. :beer:

Sweet .. thanks champ.

Well according to beersmith my efficiency was 71% .. something to work on but not too shabby for AG #3

Back