Tony's Jsaa And Lme

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyethm

Reaction score
As my first crack away from basic kits I'm planning on doing Tony's JSAA recipe, as I love the stuff and his recipe has had good feedback on this forum.

However one quick question, when I went to the LHBS and asked for Coopers LME - Light Australia the guy didn't have it, but suggested I buy his generic LME.

Does this sound OK and will it make much of a difference?

Cheers

Mark

As long as it is an unhopped light liquid malt extract it should be fine.

:icon_cheers: SJ

As long as it is an unhopped light liquid malt extract it should be fine.

:icon_cheers: SJ

Isn't the Cooper's LME, Light malt extract (dried) rather than Liquid?

I've only ever seen dried from Cooper's.

2nd the 'should be fine' thing though.

is there a link to this recipe i searched but could not find

cheers
carty

Isn't the Cooper's LME, Light malt extract (dried) rather than Liquid?

I've only ever seen dried from Cooper's.

2nd the 'should be fine' thing though.

Nah, Coopers sell 1.5kg tins of liquid extract. The only place I've seen em' though is G&G

Nah, Coopers sell 1.5kg tins of liquid extract. The only place I've seen em' though is G&G

I think they also sell 29kg drums of the stuff, but I've only ever heard of them here:

http://www.jovialmonk.com.au/chapter5.htm

I think that the choice of malt in Tony's recipe is more a result of the software than anything.

I've actually just had a crack at the recipe, but I used 2.4kg of LDME - I'll let you know how it works out.

I see.

Is it only the one variety or is there a range?

This might be a stupid question, but when people refer to DME or LDME, do they refer to one particular type of malt, or a generic type, or does it just mean "choose whatever you like"?

This might be a stupid question, but when people refer to DME or LDME, do they refer to one particular type of malt, or a generic type, or does it just mean "choose whatever you like"?

Not a silly question.

LDME - light dry malt extract
LME - light malt extract (liquid approx 80% LDME and 20% water)
DDME - dark dry malt extract
DME - dark malt extract (liquid)
DWE - dry wheat extract

Just watch the water content of liquid malts, as you need to take this into account when interchanging dry and liquid malts.

Liquid malts normally come in a 1.5kg can. Dry malt is easier to add for smaller or larger amounts.

Barry

I have made it with Coopers light LME and with generic from LHBS and a 28kg tin from G&G. All have been good, so just go with the HBS extract and enjoy

Not a silly question.

LDME - light dry malt extract
LME - light malt extract (liquid approx 80% LDME and 20% water)
DDME - dark dry malt extract
DME - dark malt extract (liquid)
DWE - dry wheat extract

Thanks, I know what the acronyms stand for, but as far as I know there are different varieties of malted barley from different manufacturers and with different characters. So does LDME (for example) refer to a particular variety of barley, or just anything in the HBS with "LDME" written on it? It just seems such a generic term.

The reason I ask is that I see recipes that specify LDME (or DME, or whatever), and I thought using the wrong type might not give the intended result.

Thanks, I know what the acronyms stand for, but as far as I know there are different varieties of malted barley from different manufacturers and with different characters. So does LDME (for example) refer to a particular variety of barley, or just anything in the HBS with "LDME" written on it? It just seems such a generic term.

The reason I ask is that I see recipes that specify LDME (or DME, or whatever), and I thought using the wrong type might not give the intended result.

There are several suppliers of unhopped liquid ME. Muntons use English grains, Coopers use Australian grains and Black Rock not sure probably Australian or NZ grains (it is made in NZ).

Search the suppliers web sites. Muntons give you details of the %'s of grains they use, as well as the colour of the extract. You can then plug these into programs like beersmith and work out the resultant colour. I think you can get a trial verson of beersmith for free, but you cannot save recipes in this version.

If you want total flexibility in colour and flavour, you will need to at least move to partial mashes, or ultimately full mash. BIAB partials are a good compromise, and you can add specialty grains to achieve the required colour and flavour profile.

With the dry malt extracts, I have not seen any details of what grain they use. I guess it is a pale malt for the LDME, and amber grain for the ADME. I think that most of the dry malts are used in food preparation, so I do not think that the manufacturers get into adding specialty grains for brewing purposes.

Barry

Back