Three Times Lucky..

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramu_gupta

Reaction score
What a day....

First time using two 2400 W immersion heaters in the kettle - worked an absolute treat - wort got to a great rolling boil in no time at all - great hot break - crystal clear beer into the fermenter.

First time using my dodgy, homemade copper sparge arm - sparged over 40 mins or so and get just the right amount of wort into my kettle at the correct SG. No more batch sparging for me.

First time using my STC-1000 temperature controller which I put together using the great advice from other AHB members. Kept liqour at the required temp for sparging and now is connected up to my fridge for fermentation control.

Sitting back enjoying a Simcoe Smash Ale.. :icon_cheers:

Bloody brilliant....

Any pics of your sparge setup, etc?

Keen to view if available.

Cheers.

What a day....

First time using my dodgy, homemade copper sparge arm - sparged over 40 mins or so and get just the right amount of wort into my kettle at the correct SG. No more batch sparging for me.

Continuous/fly sparge is a peice a piss eh. So easy!

Screwy

Yeah, be warned ... it is very manky.. but it worked. I cleaned and formed (well wrapped into some sort of shape) a length of copper, drilled some holes in it and used the bench vice to crimp the end. It sat on top of the grain bed and gently spewed out hot liquor...

The elements were great .. I'll never go back to using gas. They brought my 30 odd litres of wort to a boil in about 15 - 20 mins. Always took about 40 mins with my gas.

PICT0219.JPG

Great if it works ramu_gupta

did you kow One of Ravi Shakar's daughters is Nora Jones

pumpy

Yeah, be warned ... it is very manky.. but it worked. I cleaned and formed (well wrapped into some sort of shape) a length of copper, drilled some holes in it and used the bench vice to crimp the end. It sat on top of the grain bed and gently spewed out hot liquor...

The elements were great .. I'll never go back to using gas. They brought my 30 odd litres of wort to a boil in about 15 - 20 mins. Always took about 40 mins with my gas.

where did you get the idea for the sparge ring? seems like a simple process i wonder why not all brewers are doing it.
And with your elements does it burn the wort?

where did you get the idea for the sparge ring? seems like a simple process i wonder why not all brewers are doing it.
And with your elements does it burn the wort?

Saw the sparge ring in action at a brew day. Think I might rework it using my old copper mashtun manifold to ensure I get good coverage over the entire surface of the grain bed.

Don't know whether the elements burnt the wort or not - couldn't notice any odd smells or flavours during or post boil and they didn't have any scorch marks on them.

Ramu

Latest posts

Back