The Kegcheserator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muscovys idea of blocking off the freezer to direct all the cold air into the fridge is working well, although I dont have a thermo here at work to test out the temps. But the fridge is bloody cold and the freezer only moderatley cold.

Will need to test it further with an STC1000 in the freezer set at 11C and see what temp the fridge holds steady at.

I pulled the door skin off my fridge to replace it with a sheet of white colourbond. (Only going to cost me $15 cut to size.)

I was going to put the seal around the sheet of colourbond then silicone it back onto the fridge door. But a guy at work said two things. Firstly that I need to get my sheet creased slightly in a bender from corner to corner so it has a criss cross through the middle in order to strengthen it. He says if I dont it will end up all ripply and look crap. Not sure if I agree with him on this and am yet to tell the guy cutting my colourbond to do this.

Has anyone else used colourbond for there door skin and did you have problems with it just keeping it flat?

The other thing he said is I need food grade silicone around the seal? Also not sure if I agree with him on this as its not like the seal is going to come into contact with any food. For that matter it will be on the outside of the fridge anyway.
This guy can be very fussy and particular about everything he does. If there is a nice easy and cheap way to do something or an expensive, hard way that takes twice as long he will choose the latter everytime.

What he builds looks great but it takes him 3 times longer than anyone else and costs a fortune. (He knows no ghetto)

He once advised me to setup a jig to cut slots in my copper manifold so they were all exactly spaced and the exact same depth. Would have taken me hours and hours to do.

creasing it yes, food grade silicon no
a company i used to work for did ducted air heaters, and if you didn't crease the larger sections they'd flex a lot with temp changes
and as for food grade silicon, the siliconed part of the door isn't touching your beer, so it won't be a problem

*ninja edit* also the crease depends on the thickness of the colourbond, if it's super thin you'll probably want to put creases in it, if it's fairly thick i wouldn't really stress about it

Thanks Spork. I think he ordered 3mm colourbond from memory.

oh, 3mm will be fine, it'll be stiff enough by itself
we used 1.6mm gal and that was pretty flexy

As a sheet metal worker by trade, I would not cross break the metal as I think it looks like air con ducting if you do. Also no need to silicone it in place, it's just a fridge. Let the seal do it's job.

You sure about 3mm? I did not think colorbond came in anywhere near that thick. For the price I would guess it is more like 0.3mm.

edit: I'm not sure how 1.6mm even could be pretty flexy, unless your talking a span of multiple metres. To give you an idea it is too heavy to cut with hand shears and you could whack it pretty hard with a hammer without leaving a dent.

Also the average colorbond shed is about 0.35mm walls

QldKev

It's probably only .3mm then Kev. I'm not really sure but will find out tomorrow. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back