"the Heineken Keg" - Party Keg?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevnlis

Reaction score
I saw one of THESE at a bottle shop the other day and ideas started to form in my head.

We have all seen the party kegs, and they are great, but I am not confident I could make something like that. But I don't think it would be quite as hard or expensive to make one of these prefabbed kegs work?

If no one has tried this, I may just have to give it a go. Worst case scenario I drink a keg of heineken and it doesn't work :p

I saw one of THESE at a bottle shop the other day and ideas started to form in my head.

We have all seen the party kegs, and they are great, but I am not confident I could make something like that. But I don't think it would be quite as hard or expensive to make one of these prefabbed kegs work?

If no one has tried this, I may just have to give it a go. Worst case scenario I drink a keg of heineken and it doesn't work :p

You can't refill those Heine-can kegs if that's what you're getting at. They have a small low pressure CO2 dispensing canister in them that keeps the beer pressurized so it can be pumped out of the top.
Much like a giant can of fly spray. :D

Other 5L kegs you'll see at the bottle-o can be re-used with a bit of care, although IIRC there is some issue with the linings/quality of the steel they are made from.

I am aware of the problems with the metal kegs. But there must be a way to convert the plastic kegs to use a standard CO2 bottle. Might need to destroy one first to find out exactly what and where everything is inside them.

I am aware of the problems with the metal kegs. But there must be a way to convert the plastic kegs to use a standard CO2 bottle. Might need to destroy one first to find out exactly what and where everything is inside them.

But, then you will need to drink *at least two* kegs of Heineken to make the thing work...

I may just be willinmg to take one for the team ;)

I have one at home for the same idea. I was thinking of using a tap lik the picadilly ones at the base, the only thing im working on is how to get beer in and gas it. Was thinking of using gas inlet and removing to use hose to fill with beer. Any more ideas??

KHB

I have one at home for the same idea. I was thinking of using a tap lik the picadilly ones at the base, the only thing im working on is how to get beer in and gas it. Was thinking of using gas inlet and removing to use hose to fill with beer. Any more ideas??

KHB

I was going to use a plug and funnel to get the brew in through the top, a tyre valve for gas in and a "cowboy" style tap on a hose at the bottom.

I was going to use a plug and funnel to get the brew in through the top, a tyre valve for gas in and a "cowboy" style tap on a hose at the bottom.

What do you mean by a cowboy tap?? how do u use the tyre thread to gas in?? like what do u connect that to to gas up??

What do you mean by a cowboy tap?? how do u use the tyre thread to gas in?? like what do u connect that to to gas up??

bronco faucet (cowboy tap)

Not sure how to use the tyre valve to be honest, I was hoping to be able to get into the area where the cartridge is kept and find a way to rig something up. Would use a CO2 bottle with reg and prime/gas as per usual.

Hey all,

Saw one of those heiniken kegs too and have had similar thoughts. I thought of a few things but they involve an oxy-torch and an arc welder.... ok, maybe not the oxy torch but possibly the arc welder!

What I thought was get one of those kegs that have a tap at the botton, cut a hole in the top (or use an oxy torch :D ) sized so that you can screw one of these C02 bulb injector valves in (see attached). The problem may arise that the hole might weaken the top and cause it to fail under pressure but u could prob gas it up slowly and watch the deflections to make sure the integrity of the keg is still ok. The other way could be to weld the valve to the top and put enough metal on from the welder to form a strengthening ring......
Last thought was to make a 'screw on lid' (see attached). You could get a round pipe threaded and welded on to the top, this would form sufficient strangthening to account for the lost hole and have the injector attched to this lid. This may be the best coz ur can work it so ur guaranteed a seal around the lid....

these are just my hair brain schemes... hope someone (with an oxy torch or arc welder :p ) gives it a shot...

In the mean time im gonna by one of those heiniken kegs, drink it, spew and open it up to see how it works!!

Cheers :icon_chickcheers:

s30_valve.jpg

Hambleton4InchCapWithValve.gif

HBSparkletInjector.gif

bronco faucet (cowboy tap)

Not sure how to use the tyre valve to be honest, I was hoping to be able to get into the area where the cartridge is kept and find a way to rig something up. Would use a CO2 bottle with reg and prime/gas as per usual.

Check out http://brewiki.org or http://sillybeertricks.blogspot.com for examples of how the tyre valve thing might work. (The last site is my own.) SuperCheapAuto sell the things that mate with a tyre valve for $2.49 each. They happily squeeeeeeeze into some BEVA tube.

Given that the party keg pressure vessels that Paul Sorenson and I use are less than $9 each at the Big Green Hardware Shop, I personally am happy to avoid another Heineken experience... :rolleyes: (No story there from me.)

Check out http://brewiki.org or http://sillybeertricks.blogspot.com for examples of how the tyre valve thing might work. (The last site is my own.) SuperCheapAuto sell the things that mate with a tyre valve for $2.49 each. They happily squeeeeeeeze into some BEVA tube.

Given that the party keg pressure vessels that Paul Sorenson and I use are less than $9 each at the Big Green Hardware Shop, I personally am happy to avoid another Heineken experience... :rolleyes: (No story there from me.)

Hmmm... $9? I only checked bunnings and they were $25... and I figured if I can get a better example full of beer for a few dollars more I may as well!

I will try a few more shops for this magical $9 pressure vessel before I continue my Heineken experience (and hopefully don't make a story of my own).

Kev, I had a good look at those heine kegs when they first arrived - http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=9955

After I emptied that one I pulled it apart. Basically, it's a no go. The main problem is that you only have the one outlet on the keg which is similar to a pressure pack can. To make it into a party keg you would need to:
- cut an opening to get the beer in
- figure out how to reseal that opening
- put some sort of pressurising valve in (as per earlier part of this thread)
- cut an outlet in the bottom for a tap

And for all that you only get a 5L party keg.

I think for the amount of stuffing around, you would be better off going for the pressure sprayer approach, or if you wanted it fast and easy (but not necessarily cheap), buy a 9L corny, 36L cooler, soda stream bottle, and go from there.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edit - dodgy URL

You can't refill em but if you whip down to bunnings and buy a cheap weed sprayer, they can be converted using a tire valve and a soda stream machine for the co2. Search You tube for the instructions. Very easy and cheap.

Latest posts

Back