Temperature Spikes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inge

Reaction score
<_<

I tried searching for this topic before, but couldn't refine it enough.

It's been warming up here in Perth, and I was far too busy enjoying the sunshine (and then running from the rain) that I forgot all about my APA (yeast is S-05) which had started bubbling away last night - a bit of a slip, as I am pretty anal about maintaining temperatures.

Sure enough, I checked the fermenter and the temperature probe was reading 24.1C as of 4pm today. Original gravity was 1046, and the current gravity is 1026, about halfway done. The wort temperature was sitting at a cool 17.5 at 12:30pm yesterday; all up (give or take) 16 hours at less than ideal temperatures. Bugger!. I'm attempting to chill the fermenter over the next two or three hours back down to 18 degrees with bags of ice and wet towels.

I know it's a hoppy style so I should be fine, but I was thinking about it anyway; if I was brewing a less forgiving, malt driven beer, how long would it take at elevated temperatures for the 'damage' to be really noticeable in the finished product? A day, two days? I'd be interested in hearing others' experiences with temperature mishaps.

Cheers guys,

Teague

24 degrees isn't tooo high for S-05, I don't think any serious damage would have been done. I guess it depends on what "damage" you are talking about - there's a fair chance you already changed the taste of your brew but whether it will be bad I don't know - might just slightly taste different to a brew that was held at a consistent 20 degrees etc.

Hey Inge,
I'm over in Perth too and I understand what you mean by temp changes; sunny one day pissing down and cold the next. The brew will probably be okay with that yeast as it's reasonably forgiving - I don't think you'll notice any real "damage' to the final product; maybe it'll just be a touch more fruity and need a bit more conditioning to come right. I've brewed some ales at 22C in the middle of summer and they've usually turned out drinkable although there was no big temp flucuations with those that I can recall. I think with the warmer weather on the way you might need to find a place in the house with the lowest steady temp possible; maybe the bathroom or a closet.

Hey Inge,
I'm over in Perth too and I understand what you mean by temp changes; sunny one day pissing down and cold the next. The brew will probably be okay with that yeast as it's reasonably forgiving - I don't think you'll notice any real "damage' to the final product; maybe it'll just be a touch more fruity and need a bit more conditioning to come right. I've brewed some ales at 22C in the middle of summer and they've usually turned out drinkable although there was no big temp flucuations with those that I can recall. I think with the warmer weather on the way you might need to find a place in the house with the lowest steady temp possible; maybe the bathroom or a closet.

The weather here is a pain!

I'm not too fussed about this particular brew, it's going to be drunk fairly young; I'm putting it on for mates for the grand final. It's ok, I'm sure they won't notice / care.

Cheers for your help mate.

Back