Suggestions for a restuarant in Melbourne to have a 50th bday?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Howdy Melbournites,

I'm looking to hold a 50th birthday bash for my partner in mid May and am struggling to find a suitable venue. The requirements are as follows.

1. North of Frankston through to the city and Docklands or East out to Ringwood.

2. Must be able to book for 30-40 people.

3. As its May prefer somewhere nice and warm with a cosy atmosphere. So beer gardens are out.

4. Age group is 40-65 so a young persons pub is out

5. Prefer somewhere with some live music, but I'm talking man on a piano or duet singing, not a rock band where you can't hear yourselves talk.

6. Prefer simple menus, pub or bistro style foods, finger foods bar snacks, etc. no fancy shit costing a fortune with 3 scallops on your plate.

7. A good view is preferred so somewhere in Port Melbourne, Docklands, South wharf etc is preferred. Or even along beach road.

8. Craft beer range isn't really a factor as only me and a couple of others Would care about that so craft beer range would be a bonus but not a deciding factor.

So come on gents help me out here. I had somewhere booked but we cancelled as its more outdoors type and it's going to be too cold

Was about to say Rockpool was the best restaurant experience I had in Melbourne but then saw the number requirement.

I've heard many good things from friends (foodies) about meat and wine co, they appear to be more accommodating function wise.

http://themeatandwineco.com/

@ mondestrunken..thanks but it's my partners bday..lol

@yob..Mountain goat only do functions on Saturday nights so you have to book and pay for the function room. And whilst I would enjoy a view of stainless tanks I'm sure the missus and her guests wouldn't appreciate it that much...lol

@Elcarter..I've heard about the meat and wine co, will add it to the list..thanks.

Long time since I was there and no view of the docklands but little creatures dining hall on brunswick st might work.
Have been to meat/wine co for a 60th and it worked well but not super cheap.

Probably getting a bit far away from our area Mants but thanks anyway.

Anyone else?? Still need a few more suggestions so we can check them out on the weekend?

did my step brothers in Bali and had a great time :)

Doesn't really match all of your criteria but the Cuckoo restaurant in the Dandenongs is nice and cosy on a cold night. Hearty Germanic food and typical German lagers on tap. And usually a music act that would suit your age group Truman!

wide eyed and legless said:
Not far from you Truman, have you enquired at the Atura Hotel if they would do a party booking, they do brew beer on the premises.
Mate I think you might be onto a winner there. I had to look it up and realised it was the old Chifley which Ive been too a few times. They serve a great range of beers and 30-40 people would fill the restuarant. Not sure what the missus will think but it gets my vote.

I'll give them a call, thanks.

Camo6 said:
Doesn't really match all of your criteria but the Cuckoo restaurant in the Dandenongs is nice and cosy on a cold night. Hearty Germanic food and typical German lagers on tap. And usually a music act that would suit your age group Truman!
That looks good too and same distance too the dandneongs as it is to Melbourne so will check that one out as well, thanks.

Camo6 said:
Even though I'm in my mid 40s doesn't mean I'm stuck in the 70s. Lol
That place looks like it hasn't changed a bit since 1973. I've never heard of it but I mentioned it to the missus and she said Hell no that's so 70s. Lol

Haha! Don't you like old men in lederhosen playing the accordion? Yeah, I went a couple of years ago for the first time since a high school excursion for German.
My brother and I kept ordering beers just to get the lovely frauleins to serve us. I fell in love with atleast three of them. My wife was not amused. Hmmmmm.
I withdraw my suggestion!

Brother fox in hawthorn is worth a look, about the middle of your search area, well priced and with that many people you could pretty much book out the place! Sorry no link as on phone and can't copy paste

Back