Steeping Grains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCG

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first extract brew Anthony at Brewers Choice in Jimboomba has hooked me up with some choice ingriedents, just curious what pit falls to look out for? I have done kits for about a year, with and with out hop additions, but I really what to take my beers into flavour country and see steeping grains as the way to go (this is the steep I have not done before). I have read John Palmers book, but just curious if there are any other pit falls to look out for.

What Ive got to steep:
300g Caramalt grain
200g Medium Crystal Malt Grain
200g Choc Malt Grain
50g Roast Barley grain

Cheers JCG

Steep in cold water - overnight in 3 litres of water.

Strain into pot and do a 20min boil adding hops...

I thought steeping in cold water didn't bring as much of the flavour through.

I've been steeping in two different ways. (Now I've found a third).

Firstly, I was using a 6-pack esky. Heating the esky with hot water for 10minutes and emptying. Adding water at ~72C, adding grains, mixing and then topping up to ~2 litres to get the temperature to around 67C.

Recently, I've been doing it it to slowly heat the water and grain in a pot until it reaches 70C. Takes about 1/2 hour on low heat (on gas).

Strain grains. Hopefully there should be about 4 litres of liquid. Start heating. Add malt extract and dissolve. Bring to boil and start hops additions.

The main thing I've found with steeping is to watch the temperature that you steep at.

Actually, what method were you going to use and what's the recipe? Probably should have asked that first.

Tyred

Have used both of the methods you have tried. Esky is my preferred method. Have heard about cold steeping and IIRC it adds a more subtle flavour than steeping at 65+degC. Less likely to get tannins. I also rinse the grains with 70degC water then boil as you do. Reckon there are probably 100 different ways of doing this.

Cheers
DrSmurto

Back