Spotted Cow Toowoomba

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul H

Reaction score
Walked in to the Spotted Cow hotel in Toowoomba on Saturday & asked for directions to the bottle shop. first thing I noticed was the chalkboard announcing that LCPA & Alpha were on tap & $6 for a schooner. The woman I spoke to was very helpful & gave me good directions to the bottle shop which is off premises. When I arrived I spoke to a young man who was quite helpful & happy to engage in a discussion about their beer lineup.

As someone who understands & is sympathetic to the need for products & services that are offered by business, to be commercially viable & am aware that Coles & Woolies have no interest in supplying variety. Why is it a pub in Toowoomba is able to supply these products on tap whilst no-one is Brisbane is prepared to do the same?

Cheers

Paul

Probably because the pubs in Brisbane seem to be interested only in Binge Drinkers and contract taps, with a couple of standouts like the Brewhouse and Archive and IH (forget the Platform Bar, they've jumped ship to the Megas).
Considering the rentals they have to pay in Brisbane you can't blame them in a way. With Bluetongue / Coca cola now touting for bar and tap space watch out for fewer and fewer specialty beers on tap anywhere in the future. The megas are out there pushing and pushing for contracts. For example the Whistle Stop bar at Central station is now 100% Lion Nathan - imagine, a pub without VB :eek:
And the Caloundra RSL (easily as big as Kedron Wavel or Sunnybank) is Fosters only, no XXXX or Tooheys.

Hey you put this in Kits n Extracts, do they serve toucan headbangers there? :party:

Back