Smash Pilsner Critique

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I reckon Boston's second PDF posted is the recipe I'll be following.
Stable temps of 10-12 until she's nearly done, 48 hour rest at around 18 then rack and cold condition at 2 until bottling time.
If it needs more hops then it needs more hops but everyone here seems to like to add 750 kg to every brew and I prefer a tad less. I want to challenge myself but I also want to present a beer that represents me.

Sounds good mate! Looking at that PDF, it looks like you are brewing a SMASH Munich/Bohemian/Pilsen/Prague Helles hybrid more so than a Pilsner due to the low hopping rates. The only thing is a helles doesnt have allot of Hop flavour, mainly just bitterness. Either way im sure it will be a kickass beer. Maybe i'll brew a Pilsner of some sorts, a helles and a Marzen and weigh up whats best for the swap... that is of course if i have time.

Sounds good mate! Looking at that PDF, it looks like you are brewing a SMASH Munich/Bohemian/Pilsen/Prague Helles hybrid more so than a Pilsner due to the low hopping rates. The only thing is a helles doesnt have allot of Hop flavour, mainly just bitterness. Either way im sure it will be a kickass beer. Maybe i'll brew a Pilsner of some sorts, a helles and a Marzen and weigh up whats best for the swap... that is of course if i have time.

Looks that way to me too, bit more hop for a nice straight pilsner, but hey Manticle I'd be suprised if it doesn't go down very
nicely as is.
And as you say, you can tweak it into the direction you prefer from this starting point.
As for water, I normally keep it simple using half tap water and half carbon microfiltered - or distilled.

Good luck with the brew Manticle and I'll let you know how my more high hopped version turns out.

Just pitched yeast @ 18. A bit high but I want to go to bed and the hi-tech chiller is taking its sweet time.

OG was 1060 so efficiency must have been better than expected. 25 litres (aiming for 26) so I may dilute with a litre or so of boiled cooled water. I don't want to bottle for the case swap and get 24 bottles because I did one too many gravity readings. Smacked the pack of wyeast on Thursday, made a starter with approx. 100g DME on Friday. No foam by this evening but I'm assuming that being a lager yeast it's less obviously active? Only ever done a couple of lagers and both were dried yeast so I'm not certain of what to expect.

Latest posts

Back