smack and store?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

givemeamash

Reaction score
Cut a long story short, was setting up to brew, smacked the bav wheat pack, then things happened and brew day was off. Put the yeast straight in fridge but it has continued to swell throughout the week. Can this be used or is it rooted??? Was smacked last weekend.

A starter would probably be best to revitalize them, if it continued to swell the yeast are still eating the nutrient so while a starter may be good practice, bringing back to pitching temp and throwing them in would still probably be ok (volume/gravity dependent)

Absolutely fine - just shake well before opening & pitching, no more need for a starter any more than if you hadn't smacked it early.

cheers Ross

what is the OG and Volume? I cant agree with a blanket, will be fine.

If you have the ability to make a starter, Id still be doing so and splitting the pack.

Hey Yob, think Ross meant if you need one before you still do and if you didn't you still don't.

Yob said:
what is the OG and Volume? I cant agree with a blanket, will be fine.

If you have the ability to make a starter, Id still be doing so and splitting the pack.
Yob, get the sleep out your eyes, that's not what i said :)
Simply said, that smacking early won't effect the viability - The OP was concerned his yeast was rooted.

Cheers Ross

thanks fellas, you ave put me at ease and saved me both a trip and some wedge. cheers

Latest posts

Back