scotch drinkers/ landline next sunday.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spog

The Odd Drop Brewery
Reaction score
g,day all,for all who enjoy a tipple or 2 you might be interested in next sundays screening of landline on ABC 1.
the gist of it is a story about the distilling industry in tassie.looks like a good one to catch. ..cheers..spog....

Saw a Gourmet Farmer episode with a bloke from Hobart doing Whiskey. His product is supposed to be world class. It was an interesting watch and good to see Aussies cracking a market. I'll definitely watch on Sunday. It's a bonus that I like landline anyway. Don't drink spirits though.

Lark Distillery Single Malt Whisky :icon_drool2:
Thanks for the heads up..
Hellyer Road, Nant and Sullivan's Cove are some other Tasmanian Distilleries.
Havnt heard much about Nant, I think they grow their own Barley, they got 95.5/100 in Jim Murray's 2012 Whisky Bible.
Cant wait.
Edit Spelling

Ill be checking this sounds awesome.

If your interested in trying some Aussie whisky Starward is worth checking out, made in Melbourne. It's more approachable then some of the tassie stuff, and only like $80.

Tasmanian whisky is just too expensive. Even if it is awesome - which it is.

I can get Scottish Single Malt for less than the Tassie stuff. It just shouldn't be so. You've got to pay the same excise on it regardless if it's imported or not so I don't understand.

Same problem with some big name Tassie cheese. I can get French cheese flown into Hobart and it costs less per kilo and is even better. Go figure.

Anyway, the Nant and Lark both do an investment programs last time I checked, hand over a few thousand and they'll make a few hundred bottles of whisky for you. You can then either take the whisky (but you'll need to fork over another few thousand for excise) or they'll buy it back off you with you pocketing a small profit. Interesting idea.

I just wish I could get a 500ml bottle of the Lark Cask Strength Single Malt for $65 and not $130 that they're asking! Just way too expensive.

Give me a local's discount damn you!

anyone catch it.? the Nant distillery looks the goods,was it Nant where you can invest by buying a cask /cask's and when matured sell it back to the distillery for a hopeful gain.
i visited Hellyer road distillery about 3 yrs ago and really liked what i tasted (being a very rare drinker of spirits).but was not allowed to take pics or the bond store.!?. but the aroma was amazing.
i walked past the Lark distillery bar many times but never went in,will put it on next tassie visit list. ..cheers...spog.........

umm,just reread the post above mine re, investing in a distillery.

I caught this and thought it was a good watch. Some people have invested a fair bit of coin and good luck to them. Some of the old buildings and equipment were incredible. Good to see some of them growing their own barley and doing their own malting as well. I thought the Lark distillery having its own peat lease was pretty novel.

spryzie said:
I just wish I could get a 500ml bottle of the Lark Cask Strength Single Malt for $65 and not $130 that they're asking! Just way too expensive.

Give me a local's discount damn you!
Hey, if David Walsh can manage at MONA....

My Father in Law is neighbours with the giy who runs Old Hobart Distillery, I'm still waiting for him to wrangle a bottle of the good stuff. I'm not likely to buy any at the prices they charge!!

Went ot the Steam exchange on the weekend.

They have bonds available $87 for a numbered 700mL bottle (600 available) of their first batch of whisky, available in 4 years.

Had an oaked pale ale while I waited.

Back