Saving A Bland Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weizen is/was often served with fruit flavoured syrup (or am I thinking or Weis?).

Im pretty sure your thinking of a Berliner Weiss which is served with a raspberry or woodruff syrup.

Weizen is/was often served with fruit flavoured syrup (or am I thinking or Weis?).

Ok just asked my German mate about the fruit syrup in Weizen, he said: "Bullshit, dat is maybe an American thing to do, but some places in Germany they make beer cocktails and sometimes even mix the Pilsener with the fruit juice"

surprised-038.gif
NOW I'VE REALLY LEARNED SOMETHING

Maybe Zwickel might have a suggestion as to what to do with it!

Sounds like sour Berliner to me, PoMo.

On a distinct tangent/outside the box, you could dilute the beer 3:2 with water to get the alcohol back to about 3% or less, and add some lactic acid (from a pharmacy) to suit your taste. ;)

This could then be called Berliner wiesse and be mixed with syrups, or consumed straight.

If the original beer is too bland, this might be the "perk" it needs.

You can test a few sample by mixing a few drops of lactic in your glass, until it's just sour enough.
Plus you get more volume out of the beer if you dilute it. :D

Beerz
Seth :p

Sounds like sour Berliner to me, PoMo.

On a distinct tangent/outside the box, you could dilute the beer 3:2 with water to get the alcohol back to about 3% or less, and add some lactic acid (from a pharmacy) to suit your taste. ;)

This could then be called Berliner wiesse and be mixed with syrups, or consumed straight.

If the original beer is too bland, this might be the "perk" it needs.

You can test a few sample by mixing a few drops of lactic in your glass, until it's just sour enough.
Plus you get more volume out of the beer if you dilute it. :D

Beerz
Seth :p

Great idea,

Not wanting to sound like the STYLE POLICE but this would make a great alternative, sour could be just what it needs, a Sour Berliner Weisse is light, tart and refreshing.

Screwy

will lactic acid in the pharmacy be labelled as such or should i be looking for a brand name? whats the medical use for it?

Create a "Russ'n"... this is basically half Weissbier (wheat beer), and half 7-up/Sprite/Mountain Dew. This is served in Bavaria (maybe more places too). It is the same as a Radler, except a Radler is the Helles version of it.

Radler is German for "cyclist"... so if you were riding a bicycle, you would drink these so as not to get so drunk. You do not want to be drunk while riding your bicycle, for obvious reasons.

I do not know where the Russ'n comes from... i've heard it stems from Russian, but i do not know why they would tag the drink this way, whereas Radler makes sense. :lol:

cheer!

Back