Sanitizing Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's only chlorine based products that pit stainless steel. Napisan is sodium percarbonate based (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate) which releases hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water which then produces the oxygen bleaching effect.

I normally soak my kegs in napisan for a day or so to loosen up the gunk and then give a scrub out. I then mix up 4 litres or so of 1:1000 idophor, give it a few PSI of CO2, shake it around and give each of the posts a quick squirt out. Then I leave the rest of the iodophor in the keg under CO2 pressure until it's next use. After a couple of weeks the iodophor has decomposed to leave a clear liquid.

I normally soak my kegs in napisan for a day or so to loosen up the gunk and then give a scrub out. I then mix up 4 litres or so of 1:1000 idophor, give it a few PSI of CO2, shake it around and give each of the posts a quick squirt out. Then I leave the rest of the iodophor in the keg under CO2 pressure until it's next use. After a couple of weeks the iodophor has decomposed to leave a clear liquid.

Can the Iodophor stain the keg brown like it does with plastic fermenters and vinyl tubing if you leave it in there for too long?

I guess stainless steel is not porous like plastic is, but can it leave a coating on the kegs?

i use white king bleach unscented to sanitise all my brew equipment as told to me by the homebrew guy at coopers brewery , half a cup of bleach and fill with water ,i have never had a failure and is cheap

Don't use bleach on stainless steel. It will pit it.

Bleach is a great cleaner if used at the right concentration and also a great sanitiser if used once again at the correct concentration. This is why it is commonly used as an additive to sanitise water supplies.

Brewers avoid using it as a sanitiser as chlorine can generate unpleasant flavours in beers.

At Paul d's concentrations, I do not know if it would pit ss. There are different products to use, so prefer to avoid bleach on my kegs. Too expensive to discover a mistake.

For sanitising my kegs i get the wifes electric pressure cooker from the kitchen, hook up a hose i made to the co2 inlet of the keg, i leave the lid of the keg slightly off to let out the pressure, and let it hiss for 10 minutes, a sh*tload of steam escapes, and this way nothing can get missed....

How are you getting the steam out of the pressure cooker? Have you fitted an outlet coupler?

As for me, I wash mine out with napisan, rinse and then zap it with iodophor & air dry while I get everything else ready.

Andy

Napisan >>> Phos >>> Boiling Water >>> Fill >>> Gas >>> Dispense.

Cheers

JSB

I use bleach, usually black and gold brand, about a cup in a keg, let it sit for > 20 mins then rinse a few times with boiling water, more boiling water then flush under pressure. Add beer immediately thereafter.

agree with Maxt, the pro brewers i know use a caustic solution

The pressure is in the pot, on the lid you have a small 1/4 inch outlet that the pressure weights sit on, i just push a hose on here and on the other end of the hose i have a black keg outlet comnnector, i connect this to the outlet of the keg so i can sanitise the stainless pickup pipe as well, as long as there are no pressures involved, theres no problem....i do leave the lid of the keg just sitting in position so the steam can escape, no chemicals and 100% guarenteed sanitised, i think you can pick up a steam machine from godfreys for under a ton..

couple of questions on sanistisers.

what this caustic soda/hot caustic people are talking about?

I'm pretty sure automatic dishwasher detergent is caustic soda isn't it? Is there any products widely available that i could pick up to use for cleaning?

where do you guys source a caustic soda suitable for brew cleaning?

any help would be awesome!

I think draino is caustic (99% sodium hyrdroxide)

I think draino is caustic (99% sodium hyrdroxide)

Draino has aluminium flakes in it as well to cause it to heat up (boil) when you put it in the drain. Straight Caustic Soda is cheaper (?) and in the same spot in the super marlet or Bunny's.

Draino has aluminium flakes in it as well to cause it to heat up (boil) when you put it in the drain. Straight Caustic Soda is cheaper (?) and in the same spot in the super marlet or Bunny's.

So it is literally called 'caustic soda'?

And should be in the supermarket or hardware store. that is awesome! I am so used to reading about sanitising and cleaning products that people rave on about, and they always seem near impossible to find, and if you can, they cost a fortune.

I'm on the hunt because i don't want to bleach to clean my S/S post mix keg.

Back on topic, i have read that people use sodium percarbonate to clean S/S kegs, and that some brewers source 20 kg bags from chemical supply companies etc. Failing this, nappy san is the same thing, just smaller quantities (and therefore more $/kg)

Is it true when looking for some 'nappy san', are the main keys to look for one thats cheap and plain (i.e. no optical enhancers and stuff designed to help washing clothes), and one that is unscented? Is there anything i am missing out on here?

I have read that no-frills or homebrand unscented nappy san fits the description. Agree/disagree?

What is the deal with disposal of cleaning water with caustic soda in it? Does it go down the sink? Or can it be tossed on the lawn (errr, weeds)?

I use napisan and from what I read, thats pretty environmentally friendly, I just dump it in the yard and its done no harm yet.

Don't want to waste my rain-water, even after cleaning kegs :)

caustic soda eats organic matter. thats why you use it in sinks etc to unclog, as it dissolves it. Caustic sosa is an alkaline product (high PH level) that is on the opposite end of the scale to say hydrocloric acid (which is an acid base). both will burn the crap out of you just in differant ways.

SO dont put caustic soda on the lawn unless you want to kill it. give your drains a clean instead :)

Im sure you could probably use any of the normal sanitisers on keg (I dont keg so someone please correct me). This thread talks a heap about differant sanitisers, some are commerical grade that you just dilute. They cost a bit more but will last ages.

Is it true when looking for some 'nappy san', are the main keys to look for one thats cheap and plain (i.e. no optical enhancers and stuff designed to help washing clothes), and one that is unscented? Is there anything i am missing out on here?

I have read that no-frills or homebrand unscented nappy san fits the description. Agree/disagree?

Hi sanders4_,

I've found that even the no-name nappysan only has about 25% Sodium Percarbonate, and who-know's what else as filler (wetting agents, perfumes, etc.)

In the brewing isle of Coles, you can find pure Sodium percarbonate in 280gm plastic bottles, labeled "Coopers Home Brew Sanitiser".
At $4, it is more expensive than cheap nappy-san, but it lasts a long time with how little you need to use. I even use it to clean and sterilise the kitchen cloth - leaves it spotless, with no odor once rinsed out - can't say that about bleach!!!!

I think you can also buy pure Sodium percarbonate ("Oxyper") from Grain and Grape for $8 a kg.
Hope this helps.

So what would i do if i were to use caustic soda, as I'll hopefully have a keg setup up and going shortly, but where i'll be living over summer has a septic tank, and from what i understand, this would be VERY bad for it...

Hi sanders4_,

I've found that even the no-name nappysan only has about 25% Sodium Percarbonate, and who-know's what else as filler (wetting agents, perfumes, etc.)

In the brewing isle of Coles, you can find pure Sodium percarbonate in 280gm plastic bottles, labeled "Coopers Home Brew Sanitiser".
At $4, it is more expensive than cheap nappy-san, but it lasts a long time with how little you need to use. I even use it to clean and sterilise the kitchen cloth - leaves it spotless, with no odor once rinsed out - can't say that about bleach!!!!

I think you can also buy pure Sodium percarbonate ("Oxyper") from Grain and Grape for $8 a kg.
Hope this helps.

I would assume that the extra bits in napisan (and its no brand alternatives) are likely to mainly be surfactants, very little 'perfume' from what i can detect.

That said, i used the napisan only to clean the kegs etc not sanitise. I use one-shot for that.

Latest posts

Back