Sa Lhbs?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor

Reaction score
Gday,

The search function has finally let me down so I've had to come out of the lurkers closet and make a post!

As an in-experienced AG brewer (only got 3 under my belt so far), I was just wondering which LHBS's in SA (city/south) have quality stock and can offer good feedback/advice for AG brewers?? (or drop me pm if there's any to steer clear of ;) )

Thanks

Trav

only ag thats any good is grumpys,,,, or brewmaker in holden hill

I go to Brewmaker in Holden Hill, the Jovial Monk in Unley and order online from Craftbrewer and sometimes Mashmaster.
I get good service from all, great service from others.

The guy at the jovial monk is a million times more friendly than the guy at holden hill.

South, take the trip out to Grumpy's in Verdun and speak to Brad or Phil.

i like the courier bringing me kegs, regulators and kilos of specialty malts to my door :) Look up

I go to Brewmaker in Holden Hill, the Jovial Monk in Unley and order online from Craftbrewer and sometimes Mashmaster.
I get good service from all, great service from others.
I'd second that - Brewmaker started me in AG but moved to Holden Hill which isn't convenient. Tom at JM does OK and, unlike the LHBSs that haven't been mentioned, loves AG.
When I tried my LHBS in Torrensville when I started AG they thought only mad people did it - I suspect K&K and (now) spirits are much better for business.

I suspect K&K and (now) spirits are much better for business.

I stopped homebrewing for a number of years from about 2001 to 2005, when I started brewing again it was very noticable how some stores had moved towards spirits and Lion Nathan kits only.

Does anyone remember the guy from the Hampsted Rd/Enfield home brew store in the mid 90's, he was always good for a yarn and a laugh, then some grumpy guy took over who thought it was OK to smoke in the store.

Thanks for the replies, help was much appreciated.

Cheers

Trav

The Monk would be your closest. Tom is certainly Jovial but don't let him sell your carapils if you don't want it.
I think he must have a big bag he can't get rid of! :)
Phil at Grumpy's is lovely (I can say that because I'm a girl).
Holden Hill is probably the furthest for you and I've never been to that shop.

If you go to the Jovial Monk or Wednesdays you will find Luke who works with Bill at Holden Hill. The Monk takes the day off and does whatever he does when he isnt chewing someones ear off about historical belgian brewing. Luke knows his stuff as does Bill up at Holden Hill and i can highly recommend Phil and Brad out at Grumpys who answered so many of my retarded questions when i started AG and are happy to talk brewing even if i dont buy anything!

Any HBS that has a huge wall of clone recipes for VB, West End etc should be avoided like the plague. IMHO only.

And if anyone wants some BE1 i have an unopened bag of the stuff. PM me if you want it. $0

Cheers
DrSmurto

and does whatever he does when he isnt chewing someones ear off
I'd say he practices chewing ears and burping on his days off.

Gday,

The search function has finally let me down so I've had to come out of the lurkers closet and make a post!

As an in-experienced AG brewer (only got 3 under my belt so far), I was just wondering which LHBS's in SA (city/south) have quality stock and can offer good feedback/advice for AG brewers?? (or drop me pm if there's any to steer clear of ;) )

Thanks

Trav

Although he is not on the "South" side Wayne at beerbelly.com.au could set you up with all the AG gear you may need. He had a ship load of hops flowers and pellets in his fridge all vacuum sealed and a number of different grains.Brewmaker,Jovial,Grumpys and the like are also good for info. The problem in S.A is where to buy your pots,pans,false bottoms,HTL and advice on what you will need for AG'ing and the likes. See beerbelly. (No affiliation) Oh buy the way beerbelly could also supply some kick arse gas burners.

BYB

Latest posts

Back