Rubber 50l Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister Wilson

Reaction score
Hi all,

So many questions!!

Are the rubber coated euro kegs any good to convert to a mash tun as opposed to a standard keg/esky?

Any issues with cutting the tops off like you would a keggle?

Cheers

Hi all,

So many questions!!

Are the rubber coated euro kegs any good to convert to a mash tun as opposed to a standard keg/esky?

Any issues with cutting the tops off like you would a keggle?

Cheers
I have a rubber coated keg ( bought from local taphouse after Canadian Spectapular ) that i converted to my HLT . I find that the keg does keep the heat in alot better than a standard keg...but it also does get quite warm..but not hot to touch.
I made a jig to use my angle grinder ( do a search on you tube ) on the thing...and blew about 2 or three blades cutting through the rubber first ( which is about 10-15mm thick) and then the stainless of the keg.
I'm guessing that it would make a good mash tun , you may want to wrap with a neoprene camping mat to really seal in the heat , but it would probably be good on its own....
The only other prob i had was that i had to make my own silicon washes out of a baking tray as i had to extend the ball valves to take into account the thickness of the rubber as well. Otherwise it was no big deal.
BTW , i'm sure you already know that you can not apply direct heat to them...and i couln't peel the rubber offf the top that i cut out...so once it's been rubberised...it's staying that way....unless you want to attack it with some power tools...and waste a month of Sundays....
Also...wear some earmuffs , eye cover and maybe a mask when cutting it...cutting the rubber STINKS and you'll get black rubbery shite everywhere ! !
Hope this helps...
Cheers
Ferg

I turned one of the 30s in a mash tun as seen here; 30l keg tun
goes alrite, will probably need some extra insulation i am finding.

Know worries cutting the top off, just have to get through the rubber first and i also had to file out around the holes i drilled for the tap and gauge to get them to sit flush to the keg.

Back