Rice Hulls

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
Hey all, I was wondering.. When you use rice hulls as a filter bed in your lauter should you treat the rice hulls as a part of your grain bill when calculating the volume of water needed to sparge with? ie. do you get the same amount of water loss (1L/Kg) with rice hulls as malt?

I've never used rice hulls myself, but a mate uses them quite often and he just adds them to the mash just before he starts sparging. So, I am assuming he doesn't allow for them in the mash water calcs etc...

Rice hulls dont absorb any water so you can leave them out of your water calculations.

I always chuck in a couple of handfuls just before sparging but will use 4-5 handfuls if brewing a wheat beer.

Cheers
Jye

Yep.... i dont allow for them in my mash water calcs. i batch sparge so i normally only add them when problems arise :p .

Remember rice gulls still laugh when I see or hear that. :D

When I have rice hulls [gulls] I put the amount used into Beersmith also, so I did not need to hey? Ran out of them about 6 brews ago anyway.

hahahaha
GULLS..!!!!

was that you Bindi...?

Back