Replacing S type spear with a D type

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, just wondering if anyone has ever swapped an S type spear with a D type. My mate has a keg setup where we've been downing many a barrel and we use both 50L D types and 19L S types and I'm starting to get lazy and not wanting to be changing the couplers over all the times.

I've just removed the S type spear for a look and it looks extremely similar to this one at Keg King.
http://kegking.com.au/keg-couplers-and-keg-disconnects/kegs/d-type-screw-in-spear-for-50l-keg.html

Could it be so simple that I can just swap them over? Anyone had a crack at it before?

If know one knows I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Cheers

Ned

12204453_10153731647618914_525875045_o.jpg

5779a-d-type-keg-spear-for-cub-vb-carlton-draft-keg.jpg

Interested to know the outcome of this experiment. I'm using 19L S types and the flexibility would be good to have for future bigger kegs. Also D type couplers are more plentiful

siege said:
Interested to know the outcome of this experiment. I'm using 19L S types and the flexibility would be good to have for future bigger kegs. Also D type couplers are more plentiful
[SIZE=10.5pt]Right so it's taken a little while but I think I've experimented all I can without a welder. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]Yes you can easily unscrew out the 19L S spear and replace it with the 50L D type spear from Keg King, BUT the D spear is about 50mm shorter so no good if you want to get every last pot out of the keg. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]I also pulled both spears apart (ultimately ruining the top seal on the brand new D spear), the D type tube is a little fatter and has a different cup for the ball seal to fit in. I was hoping that I could just swap the tops over on the tubes but no go there either unfortunately.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10.5pt]So basically it is possible but the only way to make sure you'd get all the beer out is to weld an extra 50mm of stainless tube to the bottom which I'm not skilled enough to do so looks like I'll be buying a few more S type couplers.[/SIZE]

12315367_10153778542698914_383706212_o.jpg

Stout tanks may be able to sort you with a longer tube with 'd' couple. In the states so may be a lil exy.

Or do the reverse swap. Make your 50L kegs S type by chopping 50mm off the dip tubes. Then you only need one type of coupler.

maybe put a bit of silicon / foodsafe hose on the end of the short one to get to the dregs

Maheel said:
maybe put a bit of silicon / foodsafe hose on the end of the short one to get to the dregs

Yep do this. I have one pinlock keg with this and its all good.

Back