Red Hill Brewery

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc - hope I'm wrong, but last I heard Red Hill were not going to bottle their Scotch Ale anymore.... or was it that they weren't going to keg it anymore?? It was one of the two

Dammit - I'm no help at all. Better revert to Fent's plan

Sorry

The Red Hill brewers are a clever bunch.

Apparently in order to get their brewery permit in an area zoned 'rural' they had to grow hops for 4 years before they could get approval. That's dedication.

Have tried the Christmas Ale on tap at the Royston Hotel a while back (Richmond, Vic near Mountain Goat Brewery on a back street) - very unusual and fruity but nice. Quite like their wheat beer too, but am biased as love the wheats as a style.

Hopper.

its all about that golden ale for me.

If you live near there you gotta set aside a day in march to go to their hop harvest where you help pick the hops. I am yet to attend one of these days but I've heard they are great fun (friends with one of the brewers but not affiliated with RHB ;) )

Lunch at Red Hill, then dinner at the Pig and Whistle up there on Arthur's Seat. A mighty good day.

Last I heard the Pig and Whistle had been sold, I hope you can still get a pint of Pig's Arse to wash down a vindaloo..

Heard back from Red Hill.

Not available in Sydney, but they can ship me a case.
So it is available still in bottles :p

Doc

Heard back from Red Hill.

Not available in Sydney, but they can ship me a case.
So it is available still in bottles :p

Doc

hhmmm, want anyone to chuck in with you?

Don't really want a case, and I wanted it for tonight as I'm off to a Whisky tasting.
Might skip it.

Beers,
Doc

I'm planning on swinging by this brewery in the next week. Anyone paid them a visit lately?

the scotch ale is the only one i have tasted and its great, i have been trying to make a batch like it.
Any one with a good palate know what malts they are using?

From other comments on this thread it appears to be top beer and I'll be giving it a try. I'll see if the brewer is up for any Q and A to help you out DJ with some more accurate ideas

...The Scotch Ale at the Royston after Jaynes great beers at the "Goat" a couple o' weeks back was one of many highlights...as was the Holgate Choccy Porter...

new newsletter is out

image006.gif

weizenbock...yummy. and on tap at Mrs Parmas. woohooo

Just got this email about their upcoming 2010 hop-harvest:
----------
HOP PICKING IS ON
Harvest is on Tuesday 9th March, 9.30am sharp start.
We will be providing morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea and of course cold beer!
Please wear old clothes as hops are oily and may stain your clothes. Please also wear long sleeves as hops are scratchy, we will be providing gloves.
Bring along a camping chair and don’t forget your hat and sunscreen.
RSVP essential, limited places [email protected] or call 5989 2959

NEW EXTENDED HOURS
After a long wait we’ve finally got some extended hours so you can enjoy a few beers on the deck after work
Thursday – Sunday & Public Holidays 11am-6pm (7pm in daylight saving)
Also open Mondays in school holidays

Heading here today. Will see if I can get a peak at the brewery. And of course have a few beers!

well we went to RHB..... was looking forward to a couple of hours eating and drinking. rocked up at 12:30 only to be told that they couldnt accomadate us. but if we wanted to stand and have a drink at the bar that would be ok. very dissapointed. since we couldnt eat, we starving and the missus didnt want to drink and not eat I quickly slammed down a tasting paddle of beers and left.

they must have had a lot of bookings that hadnt arrived as they didnt look busy.

anyways tasted:
golden - very avg. no where near as good as ive tasted previously
wheat - nice clove balance. enjoyable
scotch - no where near as good as previously. a little lifeless
hop harvest - best of all 4. enjoyed this.

was also very dissapointed that thye didnt have anything other beer on offer. no stubbies of the other brews etc. i was told to wait fot the 'secret stash' weekend. oh well, we went elsewhere and spent our $

took a few pics of their brewry for those interested.

IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0312.jpg
IMG_0313.jpg

PS interestingl;y enough i asked about their yeasts (if they use or are looking at using house yeasts). I was told they just use generic smack packs because they enter their beers into compititions. I think he also made mention of needing reliability of yeast or something. seemed a bit of a cop out answer.

dont be put off going and visiting b/c of above review. I was just very dissapointed as I was looking forward to the visit and it failed to meet expectations

yer they can be booked out pretty much every sat/sunday arvo mate. Its a small space and first in best dressed i reckon. I dropped past with rach about 3 weeks ago and the only reason we got a seat was the tshirt i was wearing at the time ;)

but yer dont be put off by it, heaps of people booking can only mean one thing, good food and good beer. they have always had mixed sixers for take aways so thats a shame you didnt get one.

yer they can be booked out pretty much every sat/sunday arvo mate. Its a small space and first in best dressed i reckon. I dropped past with rach about 3 weeks ago and the only reason we got a seat was the tshirt i was wearing at the time ;)

but yer dont be put off by it, heaps of people booking can only mean one thing, good food and good beer. they have always had mixed sixers for take aways so thats a shame you didnt get one.
yeah as i said dont be put off. i was looking forward to the great food etc so was dissapointed. actually the beer wasnt great. the hop harvest was good though. a hoppy ESB. in the same territory as Hargreaves ESB i recon.

the mixed sixer was still only the 4 beers you got on tap (cant remeber which 2 you got double of). oh well next time.

I tried the brewing card but it didnt work.....

I was there a couple of weeks ago. Was so fricken busy it sucked ass. I've been a couple of times previously and had good food and some decent beers where as this most recent time I felt none of the beers were any thing special. I dunno if they had just been pumping out beers for the easter rush hour or what but I wasnt particularly impressed.
I will definately be back though - hopefully on a quieter weekend and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy a few quiet beers and some tasty food. Their ploughmans platter / lunch used to be very good.

Shame you didn't book ahead cm2, the food has always been very good. We only live 20 mins down the road and whenever we go for Saturday lunch we book in early. Their beer is a little inconsistent but then again so is mine. :rolleyes: I think they had an imperial stout, or something similar last time I was there, very nice drop.

Latest posts

Back