Red Gum Bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SDJ

Reaction score
G,day all,
Ive got a fairly decent bar (leaving myself wide open for your smutty comments ya filthy animals :rolleyes: ) and just scored 10 redgum sleepers from evil bay, so Im thinking of moveing the original bar from the back porch to inside and making a honking big red gum timber and corrugated iron bar for out side.
I can think of several ways to join the timbers but thought that someone else may have already done this and might have a good strong solution for joining the the redgum beams, each one is 200mm x 50mm x 2400mm.

any ideas :huh:

cheers Steve

Thinking about 3 sleepers wide 600mm wide x 2400 mm long, 2 outer front panels filled in with micro orb corrugated iron, and the central panel with handcarved leather picture of Ned Kelly, maybe gum leaves and scenery as well.
(I do leather carving as a hobby)

red_gum_ned.jpg

Or rustic like the Batz bar

bar_002.jpg

Batz

This is my rustic outside bar, soon to be moved inside.
2007_1206PICSBAR0002.JPG

SDJ is that top section of your bar made from the head/tail of a bed?

either way i think u just came up with a solution to a bed i dont want anymore :p

G,day all,
Ive got a fairly decent bar (leaving myself wide open for your smutty comments ya filthy animals :rolleyes: ) and just scored 10 redgum sleepers from evil bay, so Im thinking of moveing the original bar from the back porch to inside and making a honking big red gum timber and corrugated iron bar for out side.
I can think of several ways to join the timbers but thought that someone else may have already done this and might have a good strong solution for joining the the redgum beams, each one is 200mm x 50mm x 2400mm.

any ideas :huh:

cheers Steve

Did the top of my first bar out of strips of hardwood (Plum). Got them tongue & grooved at the local sawmill then glued (Weldbond is the shot these days) & secret nailed the clamped plum strips onto the pine frame of my bar top. A quick sand down, estapoled (The 2-pack resin that Batz used would be much better) & ---- viola!
Should not be too hard to get your sleepers tongue & grooved.

TP :beer:

Edit ---- Each plum strip was added with the grain sitting in the opposite direction as should the sleepers if you get my drift?
Edit No2 --- Edges & ends were lined with a routered trim of plum to hide tongue & groove ends.

SDJ is that top section of your bar made from the head/tail of a bed?

either way i think u just came up with a solution to a bed i dont want anymore :p

Yep its an old bed head I got at the tip shop round the corner from me, the bed rails where slotted to take slats so I just cut em down to suit, liquid nailed and screwed everything together and Voila!!.

ps its hanging fron the rafters by chain.

Did the top of my first bar out of strips of hardwood (Plum). Got them tongue & grooved at the local saw mill then glued (Weldbond is the shot these days) & secret nailed the clamped plum strips onto the pine frame of my bar top. A quick sand down, estapoled (The 2-pack resin that Batz used would be much better) & ---- viola!

Edit ---- Each plum strip was added with the grain sitting in the opposite direction as should the sleepers if you get my drift?
Edit No2 --- Edges & ends were lined with a routered trim of plum to hide tongue & groove ends.

Funny thing, I cleaned out the carport, took a load of crap to the tip, sat down and had a beer and now got it all figured out, might even post the plans.

P.S. where I come from we call tongue and groove boards........... wait for it!!.................... "lesbian boards' :D
hardly politically correct but if ya cant take a joke, go to a bloody site on how to make lemonade!!.

P.P.S Cheers

Did the top of my first bar out of strips of hardwood (Plum). Got them tongue & grooved at the local saw mill then glued (Weldbond is the shot these days) & secret nailed the clamped plum strips onto the pine frame of my bar top. A quick sand down, estapoled (The 2-pack resin that Batz used would be much better) & ---- viola!

I haven't seen your bar Pete,any chance of a pic? If it's like anything else you build I bet it's a piece of art :p

Batz

P.S. where I come from we call tongue and groove boards........... wait for it!!.................... "lesbian boards' :D
hardly politically correct but if ya cant take a joke, go to a bloody site on how to make lemonade!!.

P.P.S Cheers

Nothing gay\politically correct about being a dyke mate. :lol:

I haven't seen your bar Pete,any chance of a pic? If it's like anything else you build I bet it's a piece of art :p

Batz

Just saw your post Batz but no, there are no pics from the bar I built at Ferny Grove 9 years before I moved to the Coast in 1980. :(
Still got a few odds & sods of plum if you can use them?

Just saw your post Batz but no, there are no pics from the bar I built at Ferny Grove 9 years before I moved to the Coast in 1980. :(
Still got a few odds & sods of plum if you can use them?

Wondered where you had put it...and how you got away with it :lol: :p

Batz

Wondered where you had put it...and how you got away with it :lol: :p

Batz

Hi Steve

I just used a circular saw to build the frame for my bar. I simply cut slots for the joins and used coach screws to fasten in.

I used a chainsaw to cut the upright logs to fit the bar top.

Baronly2.JPG

Baronly3.jpg

The frame is made out of old hardwood of some type and the top is 2 pieces of Jarrah, joined end to end.

Finish is in danish oil

One day I'll finish it off and bolt on some corrugated iron front !

It's a flooded font with iced water running thru the python to the freezer (see black hose).

Have fun with yours !
Cheers
Simon

Baronly2.JPG

Baronly3.jpg

nice bar man, i love jarrah, sweet setup, the logs on either end remind me of an old shearing shed

now im hungry for beer and chops.

cheers
carty

If you do make a bar with a chesty font,make it so the top opens.I changed my mind after my first freezer died and did this.
Why did I not do it like this in the first place?

bar_001.jpg

bar_002.jpg

bar_003.jpg

Life is so much easier changing kegs now.

Batz

I have a mate here with a couple of timber slabs that would make very nice bars if any locals are interested.

Batz

There are some nice slabs at that Shop in Yandina..

What shop is that?
Need to go up there and have a Thai meal with my mate,they have the Thai place next to the pub.
So how's his prices? Slab man I mean.

Batz