Real "golden" Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehdilgerer

Reaction score
Hey AHB,
Im about to brew my second beer on the weekend (Bottling the first!), a JS Golden ale clone-ish. When buying the gear today, they local shop didnt have the Coopers Wheat Malt Extract (liquid) that the recipe required, so the guy sold me 2x1kg (740ml) tubs of 'brew by you' liquid wheat malt extract, but then said that adding too much could ruin the beer.
My question to all you knowledgeable folks out there, is he right?

The recipe in question:
1x Coopers Real Ale kit
1x Coopers Wheat Malt (substituted for 2kgs/ 1.5lts bby Wheat)
25g Amarillo @ 15
25g Amarillo @ 5 (or flameout)
1x 11g US-05 Yeast

Should i just use 1.5kgs of the LWME, or the whole lot and see what happens? And are the hop additions ok, too much/weird timings etc?

Thanking you in advance,
Dilg

I'd personally only use one of the 740ml tubs of wheat extract. But I used drsmurto's golden ale reciepe which is a little different. :chug:

My Golden Ale clone is very similar and I only put 1.5 kg of the wheat malt in and save the rest for the nest batch ;)

I don't see how it could ruin it though?? Does it tell you how much of it is actual wheat? Like, I know the Coopers ones are 50/50 (or there abouts?) wheat/barley.

I'd use the lot personally. Hop additions look good too :)

chuck both in if your making 22-23L or you'll end up with approx 3.3% ABV dishwater.
Both will get you about 5% :beerbang:

chuck both in if your making 22-23L or you'll end up with approx 3.3% ABV dishwater.
Both will get you about 5% :beerbang:

That's what I was going to say, I'd dry hop some Amarillo as well if you've got more than yr recipe requires.

I don't see how it could ruin it though?? :)

I agree and think this demonstrates how little some HBS guys actually know about beer. Probably thinks wheat malt is only good in small amounts for adding body and head, and has never tasted a wheat beer. I would guess that what you've brought is only 50-60% wheat anyway like most wheat malt extract, and I would go with 1.5kg.

Thanks guys for your replies :)

Sinceyou guys are a bit divided i think ill just put the whole lot (2kgs)[because i want negative dishwater] in there and see what happens ;p hopefully turns out decent. If not, im probably screwed ;P I Dont have extra hops to dry-hop, but i could cut down the 5min boil and put most of it into a dry hop if that would gain extra aroma?

This will not turn out being fail, assuming the 2kg wheat isnt too much>?

I suppose, as with most homebrew, its all about finding what suits yourself hey? :)

Mostly, i hope my first brew doesnt turn out rubbish, or my housemates will never let me live it down... They have quite negative ideas on how home brew can turn out.. Apparently a product of their older brothers, who weren't quite as informed (thankyou internet+AHB!). Sanitary=win.
1xCoopers Original Lager
1x Coopers BE2 kit
~25g Saaz hops @12min
1x Danstar Nottingham Yeast
fermented at 16-18deg (tassie weather ftw) for 2 weeks.

ps. The HBS said they wheat kit was comparable to a coopers kit, so id assume 50/50

The trick with the kits is to get them really fresh, chuck the yeast away and use decent yeast, and ferment cool.

looks like you have done that so, you are off to the right start. Your golden ale recipe looks good, i would brew it as described. I brewed Dr Smurtos kit recipe many times and it was fantastic, I never dry hopped it, just added at flameout.

I would step away from the BE2 too, you need more malt in your beers than it gives, otherwise your beer will be rather thin. I would be using the wheat extract, or twocan brews instead of the adjuncts.

And dont worry about using wheat, I put 10% wheat in all of my aussie beers

Paul

Just put the brew down, using both tubs of LWME, took a hydrometer reading, and its sitting at 1060! Does this sound right, as it seems i could end up with a 7% beer? Nothing wrong with that, but i sort of wanted an easy drinking ale, not something where the alcohol overrides all the other flavours..

Dilg

if you made 23l with a 1.7kg can + 2kg LLME it wont be 1060, you might have some goo in the tap giving you a high reading.

Back